Monday 24 October 2016

Persian Bakery

A visit to the Richmond Hill Persian Bakery is quite an education.... and believe me, these breads are delicious. I drop in there when I shop at the nearby art supplies store.


This is Barbari bread, thick flat bread made with whole wheat flour or white flour, with either white or black sesame seeds sprinkled on top. The bread is usually between 70cm to 80cm long, and 25cm to 30cm wide.  It is the most common style baked in Iran. It is served in restaurants with Lighvan cheese of ewe's milk, similar to feta cheese. Good dipped in soup too!


This is Sangak bread, baked on a bed of small river stones in an oven.  Sangak bread was traditionally the bread of the Persian army. It is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. Each soldier carried a small quantity of pebbles which at camp were brought together with the "sangak oven" and used to cook the bread for the entire army.
This bread was too big to take home, so it was cut into more manageable chunks. Great popped into the toaster!

6 comments:

  1. Yummo.
    My partner developed a real fondness for these breads while in Iran - and we buy them whenever we see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so interesting to see and try all the ethnic foods. With the immigrants in PEI over the last few years, we are seeing new businesses cater to their needs and the rest of us are enjoying the new foods immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all new to me, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a try so long as you're willing to try our pot...er, pots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me happy to be going to our local bakery today. However they are very traditional and I won't find any of that bread there. Thanks for commenting on my blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shammy, that's not fair...I'm hungry and fresh bread is a favorite. I can almost smell it from here.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved Iranian food when I visited Iran many years ago. You are fortunate to have such a bakery close by.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..