Friday 27 March 2020

Staying Positive

I'm on Day 15 today on my own. I've been in touch with family via technology every day, and I've been out walking and chatting with my neighbours.... from a required safe distance of course. But the fact remains that we'll all be in this isolated situation for quite a while. It would be easy to get discouraged.
But there are many reasons for staying positive. Here are 4 of mine.

1: Look out of the window. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. It's still chilly out there, because after all, this is Canada, but Spring is on the way.
And as the ground warms up, last year's hyacinth bulbs are springing into life. I think they were given to me in a pot, and when the blooms died, I buried the bulbs. I'm so glad I did.

2: There are visitors to the neighbourhood pond this week, but they probably won't stay long. They are Hooded Mergansers, very handsome little birds. They are diving ducks and it's fascinating to watch them dive under water to catch fish, and then see them come to the surface a long way from where they went down. There were 5 males and 1 female, so the lady duck was getting lots of attention. Spring fever!

3: OlderSon delivered a box of groceries, fresh fruit and veg. Bananas, clementines, potatoes, broccoli, beans, fresh bread... I shall eat well for a while. Thank you!

4: Tonight and every Friday night, my neighbours will gather on front porches and driveways at 7:30pm to make some noise and to sing our National Anthem O Canada in support of the front line workers that are keeping us all going right now. Hospital staff, police, firemen, ambulance, grocery store workers, sanitation workers, government workers, many more. Thank you!
Update later this evening: The fire truck came by and flashed it's lights for us!!! The most excitement I have had all week!

21 comments:

  1. Those are great reasons to stay positive. It's the little things in life that become big in times like these.
    Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many blessings to count right now.

      Delete
  2. They are wonderful reasons to stay positive.
    I am particularly impressed with the salutation/appreciation for the front line workers and would love to see it take off here. Since it hasn't, I am sending waves of silent gratitude to them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were all outside banging our pot lids and singing O Canada when the fire truck came through with its lights flashing and the firies hanging out of the windows videoing with their phones. Perfect!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to support essential workers with the anthem that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shammickite, thanks for the visit and comment on my blog post. This post says it all, as bad as things are now, we need to remain positive in all our countries as the alternative isn't good. Yes, things will be blooming but very slowly here in NH, however I saw some daffodils in bloom today so there's hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh daffodils, my favourite spring flower!

      Delete
  5. I'm trying to stay positive but every so often I get a spurt of absolute panic, but then I talk myself out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are not in isolation, but definitely social distancing and doing work and school from home. Love to see the hyacinth bulb ready to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social distancing isn't easy but necessary. Especially in my age group.... the oldies!

      Delete
  7. We are on the same time frame as you. This, Saturday, is day 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Saturday, Day 16, I wonder what excitement today will bring?

      Delete
  8. Well done Shammi, if only everyone did the right thing. We aren't in total lockdown yet but definitely social distancing and no more than five in a gathering, that includes weddings and funerals! Most businesses are closed except for essentials but at least getting out for a walk makes it more bearable. Btw I've left a comment and some info back on your boat post, something for the artist in you to check out, he is an amazing artist 💙

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you for your positivity. We need reasons to be happy in these strange times, when it can be too easy to fall victim to a fit of the Dismals. Three cheers for all of the essential workers keeping our world going - and the fire truck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a place to live and food to eat and a means of communicating with friends and family all over the world. I am so lucky!

      Delete
  10. Every day, on the green side of the grass, is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, a good day even if it's pouring with rain, like today!

      Delete
  11. Banging the pots and pans has caught on here in Waterloo. We have not started to sing the national anthem, however, at least not in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to be positive right now.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..