Saturday 6 June 2020

Buzz ... click ... beep ...

It has been a very interesting week.
Last weekend I packed up a few groceries and my suitcase, put gas in the car for the first time since March (it only cost me just over $20!), loaded up some rollerblades and hockey sticks I had acquired for the kids, and headed off to visit YoungerSon and family for a couple of days. We last got together in February, pre-Corona.
YoungerSon has an in-law apartment where I stayed, so we were still able to practice the recommended social distancing..

It was lovely to see the grandchildren, and meet their new chickens (no eggs yet!) But I felt rotten all weekend, and by the time I arrived home on Monday, I really felt ill with fever, chills, trouble catching my breath, nasty cough, lost my appetite completely.

You know what we were all thinking!
So I drove to the local Covid-19 Assessment Clinic at Markham Stouffville Hospital.

After waiting in line for 30 minutes in the hot sun, I told the nurse how I was feeling and she took one look at me and told me to go to Emergency next door, RIGHT NOW!. An orderly in full PPE on a golf cart came to get me and whisked me round the corner to Emergency.

It didn't take long for medical staff in full PPE to get me on a gurney in an examination room, wire me up to an EEG machine, then take BP readings, temperature, oxygen readings, blood samples, urine samples, install IV drip. My heart was out of rhythm yet again. A doctor came by and gave me a Covid test.... not a pleasant experience. They even put the pads on me as they were planning another cardioversion.... I've had so many to get my heart back in rhythm I'm used to them by now, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Then I was told there was a bed for me upstairs on the ward.... what? I only came here for a Covid test! I was planning to go home and unpack after the weekend! I don't want to stay.... but I had to.

By Wednesday they had my Covid test results.... negative, but could possibly be a false negative as I was still displaying many symptoms, high fever, chills, cough, lack of appetite. So I was given a second Covid test. (They don't get any more pleasant the second time) Two negatives are required in my case.

I was placed in a large two bed hospital room but one bed had been removed. All equipment that was not in use was covered in plastic. A large sign on my door warned every hospital worker, nurse, or doctor who entered my room was required to wear full PPE, and dress in extra plastic covering from head to foot as they entered the room. The extra covering was discarded as soon as they left the room and was not used again, even if they had only been in the room for 5 minutes.
A few moments of panic when my cell phone ran dry because I didn't have the charging cable with me... well, I was only planning to be out for an hour, not a whole week! So OlderSon went to my house and picked it up along with other necessities as toothbrush, toothpaste, book to read and 3 pairs of clean underwear!!!!! Had to drop it off in a sealed plastic bag at the front desk.... no visitors allowed.

By Thursday I was much recovered but they were still testing and it wasn't until Friday that I was finally declared Covid-19 free. Phew, sigh of relief.... and for my YoungerSon's family too!
I was worried about my car being towed away but it was OK< no panic. I was able to buy a 5 day parking pass that covered the car as it had been sitting in the Covid test parking lot since Monday.

Those medical hospital staff deserve all the praise and thanks we can give them. They are doing their jobs in extremely difficult and dangerous conditions, and they are all dressed up like spacemen. Everyone was kind and patient with me, especially when I couldn't hear their instructions clearly though their many masks. They were so very helpful.
And one more note about the Hospital food..... even though I wasn't in the mood to eat for the first couple of days, the food was very good, very tasty, and no complaints from me!

25 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you received exemplary treatment and that you are Covid 19 free. I hope you are much, much better - and join you in saluting the medical workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medical staff at MSH were wonderful, I can't say enough about how well I was treated. They told me just enough to make sure I knew it was a serious situation, but kept me from worrying.

      Delete
  2. How scary for you. These are difficult times. I hope you are over whatever the problem was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were only testing for Covid-19, so the infection is still unidentified. However, I am feeling much better.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are feeling better! What an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling better now and I hope to stay that way.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like as positive an experience as possible under the trying circumstances. I am so glad you did not have Covid and your heart issues weren’t serious! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very grateful to all the Hospital staff.

      Delete
  5. Sigh of relief! The hospital staffs did their best. I wonder what was the reason of your symptoms. It’s not time of flu or cold in general. We are warned of heat stroke by wearing a mask in muggy weather. The symptoms of heat stroke resemble those of COVID, which would cause the difficult treatment until it is proved COVID or not. Thanks for this precious talk of your experience. Take care,

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yoko. Yes I am very happy that it is not Covid. The Hospital staff were so efficient and I was well looked after. A positive experience.

      Delete
  6. What an awful experience. I'm glad you're home and recovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great to be at home. Thank you so much to all the staff at MSH who took such good care of me.

      Delete
  7. So glad that you did not have corona, and you are recovering. That had to be a very scary time for you and your family too.
    Take care, Shammic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it was not corona too! I have been staying as safe as possible so I really didn't know where I could have been in contact with the virus. Feeling a lot better now, thank you Tomoko!

      Delete
  8. What a scary experience but at least you tested negative for Covid-19. It's wonderful that you were taken well cared of by such a great staff. Glad you're home and doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a frightening experience for you (and your family) to go through. I'm glad you are home again and improving. A big thumbs-up to your wonderful hospital staff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I have to agree, the hospital staff are doing a marvellous job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow...so thankful Shammie that you tested negative but so sorry you were so sick. The Drs., nurses etc. are really the unsung heroes helping you heal.
    How scary but what a relief for your family too. Sorry your family get together got disrupted too.
    Prayers for continued healing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. Glad to say I am much better now.

      Delete
  12. What a scary experience. Glad to hear you are doing OK. And kudos to the staff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to see you giving praise and thanks to the medical team. They are, as you point out operating under very difficult conditions. It amazes me how people can sometimes bellyache about the smallest things, all the while forgetting the big picture. And aren't you glad we live in Canada? I just read where some who recovered from the Coronavirus in the USA received a bill for $1.1 million. I guess that pretty much takes care of his financial future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coming in late here. So glad you are recovered from whatever it was. I agree, the hospital staff, from the top to the bottom are incredible. They care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So if it wasn't Covid 19, what was wrong with you? Sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh Shammi, what a very scary experience. So glad you were negative for the virus but it sounds like you were still pretty unwell, all better now?

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..