Wednesday 2 September 2020

The Stripper

I've been doing some stripping this week.

No, not THAT kind of stripping. Get your mind out of the gutter! 

This old table has been sitting in the bay window and the sun has bleached the wood and melted the 1920s black varnish. Plus there were water stains and scrapes and dents and the top was a nasty mess, so grandson Callum and I carried it huffing and puffing out to the garage. The middle bit folds away and it becomes a narrow table.

A can of chemical stripper, a couple of scrapers, lots of newspaper and rags and sandpaper, and the loan of a neighbour's electric sander, then some walnut stain and a couple of coats of clear acrylic, and the table top looks as good as new. I didn't touch the legs or frame, they didn't need any attention. Definitely not a professional job but 100% better than it was. 

The table is back in the window now, and should be able to stand up to the sun with it's new modern finish. I still have some stripper left..... now what else needs some TLC? I'm in a stripping mood.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, ! really like this old table, it was worth saving.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love that table and how it folds. Great job on the refurbish. I used to do a lot of the refinishing on headboards, tables and whatever seemed to need a boost of new life.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bit that folds underneath was almost untouched, it had hardly been used. But I stripped it all anyway.

      Delete
  3. Smiling. And wishing that I could import you, your stripping and your drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun project, I played loud music and danced while the stain was drying!

      Delete
  4. Great job. We had a table professionally done. I wasn’t as brave as you, nor as talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you need is a big can of stripper, rubber gloves, and some elbow grease.

      Delete
  5. Looks good Shammi, you're a pretty good stripper 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun can be quite damaging - even to tables. My grandmother kept all her "fine furniture" covered with cloths, doilies and table cloths. I may start doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the summer sun shining through a south window with no shade available made this table a real mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the style of those old tables. You did well refurbishing it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table was definitely worth the time and effort.

      Delete
  9. Now, that's more drive than I have had in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I've been putting the job off for a while, glad I finally did it.

      Delete
  10. Looks good. There is some satisfaction in renewing a nice piece of furniture but it is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm happy that the job is done and the table looks good.... not professional... but good!

      Delete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..