Monday 12 July 2021

Toadstool or Mushroom?

 Any Amateur Mycologists out there? Or even a Professional Mycologist, perchance?

There has been a lot of damp humid weather recently, and the fungus population has sprouted overnight. Does anyone recognise these? There are lots of them growing in an area of spare ground at the back of a nearby house. Some were only an inch across, and others as wide as 4 inches. 



Could be Common Agrocype  or Spring Agrocype. Apparently edible, but I'm definitely not going to try it.

And a bit further along, there were these tiny little mushrooms hiding along the edge of the sidewalk. About the size of a little fingernail.

I think this might be Pear-shaped PuffballLycoperdon pyriforme. Large clumps of these small puffballs can be found on logs or growing in woodchips along park trails. Puffballs have a small pore on the top where the spores are released. When a large rain drop lands on a mature puffball the force is sufficient to release a "puff" of spores. The spongy filling helps the puffball regain its shape after being compressed.


19 comments:

  1. We have lots on our lawn after all the rain we’ve had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of rain here too last week, the ground has been saturated.

      Delete
  2. I am fascinated by them - but know very little. I hope someone much more knowledgeable can answer your queries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed that they can grow so large in such a short time.

      Delete
  3. Lindos hongos te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I am impressed with all the mushrooms. Shammic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I can't help with the identification but very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many of these mushrooms scattered about in two locations, and I know they were not there the previous day!

      Delete
  6. Ukrainians and Russians are fanatical about picking wild mushrooms. If you have one as a neighbour or friend ask them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Russians around at the moment although I did have a boyfriend from St Petersburg a few years ago, but I don't think he knew anything about mushrooms.

      Delete
  7. My goodness, what a variety of shrooms...
    I love the looks of the ones with the crackled skin..
    I love mushrooms but wouldn't dare eat any of those...don't want to make a mistake.
    Hope someone knows what they are.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never tell the difference! Love your captures of the shrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear friend!
    I miss so much visit your beautiful blog!
    Even we talk always by email, I miss visit you here!
    Love these photos of mushrooms!
    Wishing you lovely days!
    Lot of hugs and much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My knowledge of fungi is pretty scant, and I find it is a difficult taxon to get to know well. I can't help you with ID unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curious, but I don't know what they are either — wise you didn't eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shammi there is a lady who comments on my blog, name Mariette, you can't miss her if you look at my posts, well she and her husband traveled the world teaching people about mushrooms, she will without doubt know what type your mushrooms will be 😉

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..