Monday 2 January 2023

2022 books

Canadian Authors in RED, British Authors in BLUE, American Authors in GREEN
Books read in 2022, and some I didn't quite finish. 

For previous years' reading lists go here: 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010. That's a lot of books.... but I'm not going to count them.

January
Bone and Bread - Saleema Nawaz (good)
The Red Lotus - Chris Bohjalian (good)
The Rehearsal - Annette Christie (DNF got halfway through and pffft!)
Cloud Cuckoo Land - Anthony Doerr (loved this book)
Bewilderment - Richard Power 

February
The Fortune Men - Nadifa Mohamed (well worth reading!)
Trees in Canada - John Laird Farrar (super detailed)
The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

March
The Queen's Secret - Karen Harper (DNF, boring)
The Vision of Emma Blau - Ursula Hegi (good)
Polar Vortex - Shani Mootoo
Here the Dark - David Bergen 
Ridgerunner - Gil Adamson

April
We'll All be Burnt in Our Beds Some Day - Joel Thomas Hynes (brutal, savage and wonderful)
The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes - Bridget Canning
The Hush Sisters - Gerard Collins (DNF)
The Help Line - Katherine Collette

May
Dark Roads - Chevy Stevens
Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Great Circle - Maggie Shipstead (good book)

June
The Overstory - Richard Powers
Out of the Sun - Esi Edugyan
The Promise - Damon Galgut (enjoyed this book)

July
Moving Forward Sideways like a Crab - Shani Mootoo
Most Anything You Please - Trudy J Morgan-Cole
The Art Detectives - Philip Mould
Big Sky - Kate Atkinson
Leaving van Gogh - Carole Wallace
The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
The Teacher's Daughter - Richard B Wright

August
Mr. Shakespeare's Bastard - Richard B Wright
The Art of the Con - Anthony M Amore
The Lady of the Rivers - Phillipa Gregory
Arthur and Sherlock - Michael Sims

September
Clara Callan - Richard B Wright
Talking to a Portrait - Tales of an Art Curator - Rosalind M Pepall
Everyone Brave is Forgiven - Chris Cleave (loved this book)
Black Cake - Charmaine Wilkerson

October
The House of Wives - Simon Choa-Johnston
Incendiary - Chris Cleave (second time reading this, I had forgotten many details)
The High Mountains of Portugal - Yann Martel
The Last Train to London - Meg Waite Clayton
The Man Without a Shadow - Joyce Carol Oates

November
Utopia Avenue - David Mitchell (2nd time reading this)
The Ghost Keeper - Natalie Morrill (good book)
State of Terror - Louise Penny and Hilary Rodham Clinton (ho hum)

December
Nora Webster - Colm Toibin
The Parking Lot Attendant - Nafkote Tamirat
The Woman in the Window - A.J.Finn
Brooklyn - Colm Toibin

Happy New Year to all readers, may you find lots and lots of good books to enjoy in 2023. I've already made a long list of books that I will be looking for at the Library. 

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for books. Comfort, education and escape - sometimes in the same volume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to love Canadian literature through book club. Some great authors here. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reading list each year! I have read a few on your list and have a few more on my to-be-read list. So glad to see this post, you haven't blogged lately and I was hoping you were ok. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to you too. Glad to see you back on the Blog again. Great reading list. I will have to check some of them out.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of books. Well done. Happy New Year Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your comments.... and apologies for my lack of blog posts. I will try to do better in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are quite a reader. I enjoyed looking at your list and will take note of some of your authors and look them up. I have not read as much since my constant trips between Nashville and Atlanta, I get so tired now. I also read many non-fictions. Right now I found a book of memoirs on my shelf by Richard Seaver entitled The Tender Hour of Twilight. He was an editor, translator, writer who was in Paris in the late 1950s early 1960s then returned to New York. He was instrumental in having Samuel Beckett published as well as many others. I don’t know what I’ll read next. I feel guilty if I buy books now because I have to get rid of so many from my house in Georgia. I’ll look at your prior lists, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to hear from you, both on your blog and on my latest post. Enjoying books is my favorite pastime. I’ve shared children’s’ books with my 9-year-old grandson. “Arashi no yoru ni/One stormy night), series of Petit Nicolas, animal stories by Seton, biographies of great people, etc. On your list I’m interested in “Overstory.” I wonder what books are on your list of this year. Keep up good reading.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..