Friday 25 September 2015

Sketch Day

I've recently joined a group of painters who get together once a week to paint, draw, sketch, and generally have fun with art. This week we enjoyed a full day sketching workshop at the nearby community hall.
The instructor supplied different papers, inks, coloured markers, oil pastels, soft pastels, charcoal, conte crayon, paint, brushes, just about everything needed to make a mess!
He also provided a whole table full of sketch subjects, assorted vegetables, pottery, small model figures, shoes, hats...

We painted with brushes, and then our fingers. My fingernails are still black!

We covered the walls with newspaper and painted to music, interpreting what we heard onto the paper with paints and coloured markers. On the chair is a black marker taped to a stick, ready to start the next masterpiece. The marker was then swapped with a brush. Definitely fun!
 
At one point, we went outside to sketch trees, and locked ourselves out of the hall, so had to wait until someone with a spare access card came to rescue us. Meanwhile it was a lovely sunny day, so an extra half hour in the sunshine was very welcome.
I really enjoyed trying the different papers, and getting to play with the variety of art supplies that were available. And everyone had a different interpretation of the subject matter. What a fun day, but a lot of hard work!

13 comments:

  1. How awesome is that!!! I have done a little bit of acrylic-on-canvas. Last fall, I did a beginner 6-week program in watercolor....wasn't for me at all. I'm hoping to sign in to an acrylic class this fall or winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very fun weekly thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing. There are some stunning creations too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun, A great way to learn and to experiment. Love all the art.
    Wish there was that kind of class here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,I can imagine. It must be a hard work but fun! I like to see paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I join your group?? I wanna play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like great fun, but I'm always afraid to try painting or drawing in front of people. I'm quite hideous at it. I enjoy it - a lot - but only as a solitary activity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) i always envy those who can draw and play musical instruments

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great idea for fun and creativity, Sham, especially when shared with a group. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to meet regularly with artsy people! I can see you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great way to spend a sunny day for sure. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like Great Great Fun, my dear! Nothing like paints and pencils and charcoal and crayons and chalk.....WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..