Wednesday 9 December 2015

Prague - Czech Republic

Back to my summer trip to Europe. The final destination of the Men of Note concert tour was the beautiful city of Prague, capital city of the Czech Republic.

Prague Castle (Pražský hrad) was founded in the 9th Century and has been a symbol of the Czech state for more than a thousand years. It covers 45 hectares including palaces, offices, museums, St Vitus Cathedral, fortifications and extensive gardens.
The view from the palace gardens over the Old City, pretty spectacular.
Our bus driver dropped us off on the castle grounds, thank goodness. I may not have made it up to the top in time for lunch if I had to trudge up this steep hill.

We enjoyed lunch outside on the castle terrace overlooking the city. I can't remember what these Czech dishes were called on the menu but they were pretty good, typical food of the area, lots of meat and dumplings. Stodgy but yummy!




Building the Charles Bridge across the Vltava River commenced in 1357, and was completed at the beginning of the 15th century. Despite occasional flood damage, the bridge withstood wheeled traffic for 500-odd years – thanks, legend says, to eggs mixed into the mortar.  The Old Town Tower stands at the entrance to Old Town, and the bridge is decorated with 30 statues of Saints.


12 comments:

  1. Nice picks of a beautiful city. Those dumplings look awfully nice, with those in your tum, you would indeed struggle to climb hills.
    A bridge made with eggs? Surely this is some kind of yolk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much history. If only those stones could talk...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful city. The bridge is so busy that a picture whilst on the bridge is so full of people, you can't see the bridge. Lovely tour. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that looked such a lovely city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful series. I've never been there, so really appreciated your tour of Prague. I especially loved that castle!

    Re your comment on Ocala: We do all the things you mentioned except nap with the kitty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A city of great character and steeped in history. I've never been but love the look of that city.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It continues to look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. Fact is all the people I happen to know who've been in Prague rave how beautiful and interesting it is. :)

    ReplyDelete

  9. You showed one of the places I’d like to visit most in such nice photos. Eating local cuisines is part of joy of an oversea travel. How wonderful to taste the meals while tasting the cityscape from the higher ground. Architectures, trams, bridge…. Everything looks so lovely.

    I didn’t know Mozart’s wife was Constanze. Talking of Vienna, I should’ve remembered Mozart first. Excuse me of my ignorance.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks like a dream vacation.
    A beautiful old city for sure.
    I'm glad you were dropped off at the top too.
    I know I would have never made it. (:0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stuff me in your suitcase next time you go anywhere. Please consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to spend a week or two in Prague!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..