Sunday 19 February 2017

Baking and Back Alleys

It doesn't happen often, but today I felt inspired to do some baking, so here's my bread. I usually combine whole wheat and white flour but I ran out of whole wheat so this is made with white bread flour with the addition of bran, oats and flax seeds. It will be delicious with some of that marmalade I made a couple of weeks ago.

And than I decided there was nothing sweet in the house to eat, so peanut butter cookies were next on the list. I ate three of them straight out of the oven, and then I had to cover them with a tea towel, just so I couldn't see them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yesterday I was prowling some of the back streets, looking for interesting buildings.

This might end up as a painting. I like the different roof lines and chimneys. That's the top of the town Clock Tower peeking out on the right. I think the backs of buildings are often more interesting that the front.

11 comments:

  1. Your bread looks delicious. I imagine the cookies are great with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about some blackberry preserves? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies and bread look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the house had the most amazing baking smells Shammi.. the smell of bread baking is the best! You only ate two cookies, what amazing restraint you have 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I can smell the fresh baking from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! Do you use a bread-maker? Oh, and I understand the "out of sight" thing. I have to do that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not many people bake bread these days ... at least not at home. And that's too bad. I remember my grandmother's bread, my mother's bread and my wife's bread. All delicious. You are probably right about the backs of buildings, but generally, while interesting, they are kind of ugly! :) And no I didn't buy that junk (response to your question) but I enjoy taking photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,Shammic,
    Your bread looks so delicious! It is shame, I have not baked bread and cookies.
    I look forward to seeing your painting of the building. I admire your deep eyes as a painter. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I've commented on this before but after reviewing your posts from previous days, I must say you are a very creative person. You remind me of my mother, who was a seamstress (making clothes for denizens of Hollywood); a painter (mostly in oils) on wooden plates (she sold these in northern Minnesota) and on canvas; a writer of 22 books, many of which were translated into a number of languages; a creator and designer of pottery, and a teacher of writing, leading workshops around the country, etc.

    Keep up your good work! I'm sure your children and grandchildren are very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both your bread and cookies look so delicious. I like the smell that fills the house when breads are baked and I can relate to you about eating some pieces of cookies right out of the oven. My daughter has “Home Bakery”, bread machine by Panasonic, to bake breads for her family every other day. Hew little son loves mam’s breads. I think geometric lines seen on the back street interesting. Look forward to your painting after this experience.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can smell both the cookies and bread baking! Not much better than freshly baked. I am now officially hungry...

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..