Sunday 25 June 2017

Beware of the Dragon

Wildlife in my tiny garden....
Immature male Common Whitetail dragonfly or Long Tailed Skimmer (plathemis lydia). 
His body will eventually turn white.

Dragonflies are the world's fastest insects, capable of reaching speeds of between 30 and 60 km/h (19 to 38 mph). A study has shown that dragonflies can travel as much as 85 miles in one day.
Dragonflies are among the most ancient of living creatures. Fossil records, clearly recognizable as the ancestors of our present day odonates, go back to Carboniferous times meaning that the insects were flying more than 300 million years ago, predating dinosaurs by over 100 million years and birds by some 150 million.
Dragonflies have excellent eyesight. Their compound eyes have up to 30,000 facets, each of which is a separate light-sensing organ or ommatidium, arranged to give nearly a 360° field of vision. Odonates are completely harmless - they do not sting or bite.

8 comments:

  1. I understand their speed. We hiked last week in an area with hundreds of dragon flies and it was impossible to photograph one. You have a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know any of that. And that really is an excellent shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant photo.
    I have a huge weakness for dragons - which extends to dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar, but not quite the same as the species I spotted yesterday on the C&O Canal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked dragonflies, but have never taken a good photo (like yours) of one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't recall seeing a dragonfly before with that coloring -- attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens Shammi, I did not know any of that! Beautiful macro and fascinating info ✨

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic macro. I didn't know any of the info you shared. I had to laugh at "they don't bite or sting" because that is what I was afraid they would do. Now I won't run from them when they get close. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..