Monday, 12 May 2008

Mushroom Mystery

My compost pile is covered in mushrooms! Or are they toadstools?

They LOOK like mushrooms.
They SMELL like mushrooms.
They FEEL like mushrooms.

But do they TASTE like mushrooms? Can I eat them for breakfast with my bacon and eggs and expect to survive until lunchtime?

Any ideas?

25 comments:

Sandy said...

Hmmm - edible? Who wants to be the first to find out? I'm not volunteering! Love the pics of Baby Callum and I'm imagining his gurgles and bubble blowing. Puppy Tessa - another charmer! You've cornered the market on cute.

madretz said...

i would not eat them with a book.
i would not eat them on a hook.
i would not eat them in the sand.
i would not eat them with my hand.

You can not make me eat them raw.
You can not make me eat them if it were the law.

Should YOU eat them? I do not know.
If you eat them, what will your face show?
Perhaps you'll turn a shade of green.
If you're lucky, everything will be keen.
However your fate may be worse.
Let's not think about that fatal curse.

CanadianSwiss said...

Although they look like mushrooms, I wouldn't take the risk. Any experts in your region where you culd bring them for a check?

Peter said...

Did you throw the rests of mushrooms here? Then it may be the same. To me they look like the very eatable "champignons de Paris", but I would certainly not recommend you to eat them without the advice of an expert - which I am NOT!

Ginnie said...

LOL at Mad! And I was gonna say we pay good money at the grocery store for these! They DO look like exactly the same ones. Surely Mother Nature would not fool us like that????

Hilary said...

At least once a month, Mother Nature can be quite the b*tch. I wouldn't trust her. ;)

Toronto Hospital for Sick Kids does not recommend consuming them. Nor does Mushrooms Canada (see last question on the page).

I wouldn't chance it, ex-S.

Fizzy said...

they look very tasty but not sure that I would eat them though.
Yeah I can still comment :)

Ex-Shammickite said...

Well, I haven't eaten them yet...!
Mad, you're very poetic today, shades of Dr Seuss I think!
Yes, Peter, all the kitchen waste goes into the compost pile, including mushroom stems and peelings, so it's quite possible that they are the "real thing".
Sigh!
I really fancy a mushroom omelette for breakfast..... :-(

Old Wom Tigley said...

Sorry I'm Late getting here...
I would say that these are what I know as Chestnut Mushrooms and if so are very tasty and full of goodness... but then I'm not the one who wants to try them...
CHESTNUT MUSHROOM

You really need to be sure first, maybe there is a local group who can advise.

dennis said...

Dennis says Be Careful!!!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

You're braver than I am if you try! LOL

IIf we hear from you later on, we'll deduce that either they were safe...or you didn't eat them. Keep us posted. ;-)

Beverly said...

I love the Dr. Seuss comment. I would never eat a mushroom...never liked them, never will. I think you're safer going to the store.

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I have no idea if my comment went through???? OY! This was a new problem I haven't encountered before.
What I was saying is that I don't know if they are edible or not and would check with someone before eatung them, which I am sure you are doing, AND that they look like really Great Mushrrooms!

Wendy said...

Ohhhh - don't think I'd chance it.
Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog. Life certainly does throw us a few monkey wrenches, doesn't it?
Hope you don't eat those mushrooms(or whatever they are)

rosemary said...

There is some rule as to edible or not but i have long forgotten it....I'd toss them...and wash my hands really well.....as for Callum and Tessa......adorable bubble maker and cute fuzzy.

photowannabe said...

I guess I'm a bit chicken like everyone else. I'd rather not chance it without official approval. Absolutely love Madretz's Dr. Seuss' poem. Perfect.

imac said...

Yea or Nay,
what should i say,
to eat or not to eat,
that is the question??

If by chance to choose to eat
be ready for the toilet with fast feet.

Pop over to see my Q post and the Bluebells.

Neva said...

A nature guy once said that any mushroom that grows in the trash is not edible and he would not eat a fungus EVER...so I vote no for the eating of the mushroom.....

Peggy said...

I'd eat those! But I would double check first. Don't you have a mushroom identification book? A local expert?

Libbys Blog said...

MMMMMmmmmm!!! difficult decision. But to stay on the safe side I'd say NO, No, No!!!

Ex-Shammickite said...

Update: I haven't eaten any.... yet! Still trying to ID them and looking for a local mushroom expert.

dabrah said...

I don't think you should risk it. Far too much to lose if they turn out to be poisonous.

Ming the Merciless said...

I'll have the bacon and eggs only, please.

ChrisJ said...

They certainly look like mushrooms. We used to go out in the fields in Flamborough E. Yorks. where I used to live and go 'mushrooming'. Our test was, if you can peel them (the skin off the top) they were mushrooms.

Xtreme English said...

i have a Latvian friend who loves to pick every mushroom she sees when she's on a walk. She eats them all with absolutely no bad effect. But she's been doing this for years. The ones on your compost heap do indeed look like the ones we pay good money for in Whole Foods. Find an expert and have him/her take the first bite....