Thursday 5 August 2010

Ocean Sciences Centre

The Ocean Sciences Centre at Logy Bay just outside St John's is a cold ocean research facility operated in conjunction with Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Research is conducted on North Atlantic organisms ranging from bacteria to seals. Seal behaviour has been studied here for more than 20 years, and the seals look well fed and happy.

We watched the seals until the "nippers" drove us away.... but the best of all was the Touch Tank. The tank is at child level, and is full of fascinating and colourful creatures found in the rock pools and beaches in the area. Isaac loved it. He wanted to get in there with both hands.

A beautiful orange sea anemone.

A spider crab, who didn't really appreciate being picked up, and waved his claw menacingly.

An enormous sea star. One of the biggest I have ever seen. And in a fashionable designer colour too. Most sea stars have 5 arms but there are species with as many as 40 arms, or more!

A hermit crab has made his home in an empty whelk shell.

Everything in the Touch Tank is safe to touch, and is presided over by two knowledgeable University students. A great place to spend a couple of hours on a mausy Newfoundland morning.

For more about Newfoundland, see previous posts below.

15 comments:

  1. My kids always wanted a hermit crab. Great picture and I love the designer starfish. Cool color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to visit...but what's a "mausy" morning?? Loved the photos, complete with human fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful place...And I LOVE your pictures! Sweet Isaac...enjoying all these 'touchables'....

    Thanks, my dear, for your sweet caring words. I just posted an update on Sweetie---He is STILL in The Hospital. OY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tank looks great. I took the kids to the Sea Life Centre over here but they never had anything like that. The day would have been much more rewarding if they had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my friend, what wonders you photograph, love the sea creatures.
    Thank you for your visit and kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun. I recall my favorite memories of time at the beach as those when I had a chance to pick up various little creatures or their shells. Young minds so want to explore and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting place,I've never been to NFLD. One day I hope to.
    I love the ocean and anything to do with it.
    As kids we would search the rock pools for hours after the tide went out, looking to see what was caught there. Ah..the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've never seen a sea star with 9 arms much less 40! this looks like such a fun place and a great place for kids of all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sea life off the coast of Newfoundland is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love sea creatures and this place looks like a winner, from the architecture of the building to the touch tank animals.

    I bet Isaac had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are such great places for kids of all ages, Sham. G'son Nicholas has always enjoyed them, too. I have never seen a sea star like that, however. We're never to old to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great place! Looks Isaac loved the world of the sea!
    beautiful photos too.

    PS: Very interesting the Toucans were used to advertise in Guenness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your photos here. You've had a very interesting trip. Thanks for your visits to my blog lately.

    I just got home from Virginia where I spent a delightful time with Ella. She woke up Wednesday morning and said, "Now I am four."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dennis likes this post. Babies grow as fast as kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I do love that touch tank ... the Oceans Sciences is one of my favorite places to go and my children loved the Geocentre ... near Signal Hill. Great, great pictures !!! I must go home soon for a mausy day!
    Very best wishes,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..