Tuesday 17 January 2017

Fun with Clay

Every Monday morning I join a group of arty-farty people in the back room of the local  Art Gallery and we talk about ART (and gossip a bit too!), we do ART, we create ART, we make ART.... and most of all, we have fun. I love being part of this group.
One of our number is a potter, and has been bringing clay and his expertise to the group. Last week we had a lesson on how to make a pinch pot. Our creations are drying right now, and will be fired next week. Sadly, I didn't take any "before" pictures, but I'll make sure I take some "after" shots.
This week we covered a slab of black clay with slip, and inscribed a picture on the slip. When these are fired, the slip will show as white with the black clay showing through.
I actually remembered my camera this time.
For some reason I can't turn this photo to "landscape".... but here's my robin, inspired by a Christmas card, and my codfish.
The carvings will stay on these drying racks for a week until the clay is leather hard, and then they can be cleaned up and eventually fired in the kiln.



13 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I have absolutely no artistic skill. Love the robin - well, you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great and very fun to be part of a group of arty-farty people and "talk about ART, create ART, make ART". For sure you are very talented person! Love all art pieces!

    I have no artist skill. My mother was a very creative weaver, but me, I am not an artist person. I love to write and I have been writing short stories...

    Wishing you a nice week ahead, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting group and wonderful projects. I look forward to seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks to be like great fun and you are proving your artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh. There is some serious talent on display there, and I am really looking forward to seeing the next stage(s).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very beautiful! Very artistic! I like the colors and feelings it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them all. How cool to be part of a creative group like that each week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool Shammi, belonging to the group and creating these excellent pieces of art.. will we see the finished results?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! If i tried doing that most people wouldn't be able to guess what they were supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful carvings! You keep making me amazed with your creative talent. Being a part of the artistic people, no wonder you get inspired to express yourself with your tone and touch.

    While I was in hibernation in blogging, you seem to have been so active. Belated wishes, but wish you happy, healthy, creative and productive year 2017.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are great! I'd love to play around with clay! i think you still need to post the after photo of your pinch pot? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..