Thursday 19 October 2017

Clay Play

I won a 4 week pottery course at last year's Art Gallery Gala silent auction, so it was time to use the certificate and get my hands dirty. The last time I played with clay was 20 years ago, and I still use some of the small dishes I made on the potters wheel. But this time we didn't use the wheel, we rolled the clay flat and used molds to shape plates and dishes, and then decorated with texture.
The pieces had to dry for a week, then the edges could be cleaned up and the clay was fired.

Then the pieces were dipped in various liquid clay slip, left to dry and then fired in the kiln again. The slip looks a dirty grey when first applied to the clay, but once they are fired, the beautiful colours appear. Basically I had no plan for a colour scheme, I was just experimenting.
But I was pleased with the way these pieces turned out. This was fun, I'd like to do it again.

9 comments:

  1. They look good to me. It must make it easier to use a mold rather than a wheel. Or am I wrong?

    I have Blogger forward comments to my email address, but you more recent one didn't show up. I only saw it because I clicked on my post for some reason or other. I wonder why this happened and if it has happened often? It should not depend on your email settings at as far as I know, but just that comments on my blog should be forwarded to me. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, as I've said before, an artiste and yes, you should definitely do it again. I've never done this kind of art, but I can imagine to actually mold something you have created and turn it into a useful or beautiful item is life-affirming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did some of that back in high school art classes, but the last time I've handled clay was during a Nuit Blanche event some years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun to play like a child sometimes, Shammi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you should be Shammi, I would have been so chuffed! I've always wanted to have a try at pottery, it looks so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun...I really like the platters, their designs and colors too.

    I think you are one talented lady. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks interesting — very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of them are very nice.
    Creative people are creative at whatever they do. This clearly includes you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they're amazing and i love all of them! i've never tried this but want to!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..