Wednesday 16 May 2018

Early Morning Visitor

I peeked out of my front door this morning at 7:00am, and guess who was snuffling about on the grass, looking for a breakfast of tasty bugs and grubs?

She (or he?) eventually wandered off past the garage so I ventured down the front steps to see where she had gone. But she changed her mind and we met at the garage wall, almost nose to nose. Both of us hastily beat a retreat.
I had seen the same skunk the previous evening, investigating a neighbour's deck and looking in their door. I guess when you are armed with such a powerful aromatic defensive weapon, you can be as bold as you like, nobody wants to argue with you.

10 comments:

  1. Well, they are quite photogenic, even though you really don't want to startle them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they are "cute." But oh boy do they stink and if let loose it doesn't go away for a long, long time! Nice shots and you were very careful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little creatures. I saw one this morning in the woodlot at the University of Waterloo, but sadly I saw two on the road killed by vehicles. The amount of road kill is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a dog in the first photo! Glad the encounter wasn’t stinky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also thought 'dog' in the first photo. Not something we have or I will ever see. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute but stinky. I remember that skunk smell. One of my dogs years ago was sprayed by a skunk and then came in the house. The smell was so strong that we thought there was a derailment on the tracks down from our house. We neutralized the smell and that took hours. That was an experience I will never forget. At least you got some nice photos and no stink bomb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter lived in an apartment building in Vancouver and a family of skunks lived almost outside the front door. Everyone seemed to get along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they do look rather cute from a distance lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen or smelt a skunk but they do look kinda cute from a distance!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..