Friday 18 May 2018

Dandelion Delight

Golden sunshine is springing up all over the back lawn, so let's make use of all those sunny dandelions. They may be considered weeds, but for me they have their own style of beauty.
I'm sure my neighbours were peeking out of their windows wondering what is that weird person doing on her hands and knees......
In French the lowly dandelion is named piss-en-lit. Rough translation.... wet the bed! So called because the leaves are diuretic. The whole plant is edible, and once I made some pretty strong dandelion wine from the blossoms.

After completing this piece of "performance art" and taking some photos, I dashed off to pick up my grandies from school as usual, and when I got home, the lawn mower had been by and my masterpiece was no more!

But there are plenty more dandelions to come.

The next day, my sweet grandie Emma was at my house for her scheduled "dinner date", and helped make this lovely dandelion sunburst.
Can you see the little violet in the centre?

Inspiration comes from the art of British artist Andy Goldsworthy. Make sure you scroll down to see some of his inspired work.

17 comments:

  1. You are so creative. I've heard of dandelion wine, but thought it must have a joke. We just don't see dandelions in this part of Florida. In fact, it's been years since I've seen one. I wonder why that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sunburst Shammi, artistic wee helper you had there. Following the link I see exactly where you got your inspiration 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that link. Ephemeral magic at its best.
    And I love your wet the bed spiral. A name that dandelions have here too. Or did when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and creative. My wife loves dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never look at dandelion the same way again because of your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made something pretty from those weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding your comment in yesterday's post, I should have been more clear in my text. The photos of the red and pink emperor tulips were taken at their peak, about a week and a half ago. When I was in the area again this past Tuesday for another visit, the red emperors had lost most of their petals, the first to go. The pinks were still okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dandelion art is so inspiring. Dandelions have always looked stars on earth to me. I like both your “cosmic whirlpool” and Emma’s “sunburst”.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you'll be pissed off to know that we spend money having our lawn treated with weed killer to get rid of the dandelions and buttercups. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Gorgeous, wonderful! You are very creative! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me again...
    Sending big hugs and kisses to sweet grandie Emma! Sounds so nice to have her to "dinner date" and lovely that she helped you to make beautiful dandelion sunburst.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so fine, my dandelion friend. Re your question about the hawk on the fence: I have no idea what kind of hawk it is. We have a lot of them around here, though. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Grandie's art work. Delightful Starburst...
    We have a few dandelions popping up in our grass but I never thought of being "Artsy" with them.
    Thanks for a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You’ve given me a whole new perspective on dandelions I’ve been trying to rid from my yard. I recall when young we used to hold them under each other’s chin and if we saw a yellow reflection would pronounce, “This means you like butter!” I knew dandelions were edible and leaves could be eaten in green salads, though I never tried them. Lovely creations you devised.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are creative and artistic! I love the vibrancy of the dandelions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way how you think! turning 'weeds' into art!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..