Monday 14 March 2011

Happy Pi Day!

If you like to write the date with the month first and then the day, then it's Pi Day for you.

March 14 = 3.14 = pi = π

And even if you write the day first, and then the month, you can still celebrate Pi Day with the rest of geekdom.

Pi is the ratio between the diameter of a circle and its circumference. Remember that from your school days?

You can celebrate Pi Day by calculating the circumference of a circle, committing Pi to memory (this is how to do it), or just by eating pie.
I prefer the latter.
Pictures borrowed from the internet, no I didn't make that pi pie, I wish I had. Maybe next year, if I remember....

9 comments:

  1. Not only Americans have miles, Fahrenheit... you also write your dates differently - month, day, year, when it shoulod be year, month, day... or day, month, year!

    The good thing is of course that you get the 3.14 and that you obviously have Pi-pies! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pi pie is the wrong shape. Pie are squared. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good comment, Hilary! Happy Pi/Pie Day to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Hilary's comment. Pie are squared!
    I really like the numbers all around the crust.
    Math and I aren't the best of friends so I will probably not remember this for next year either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you guys were more like us when it came to dates. At least you do metrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I was going to tell the horrible old joke about the immigrant man who sends his son off to college and, when he returns home, he asks him what he learned. The son replies "Pi r square!"

    The man shakes his head, leaves the room, and talks to his wife.

    "Momma, we waste our money sending Luigi to school. I ask him what he learn, and he say 'Pie are square'. Even little children know pie are round."

    But, Hilary beat me to it and without wasting so much of your time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many numbers on your post for me – I like the colors behind the numbers though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a cool idea for the pie with the numbers going around... clever!

    I'm sorry I missed it.

    I only have pi memorized to 3.14159... but I don't know why. For whatever reason, that just stuck with me.

    I love those comments about pi R squared!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..