Wednesday 2 March 2011

Henderson-Kolk Duo

I often volunteer at our local Centre for Arts and Entertainment.
I get dressed up in my best volunteering outfit, take tickets, hand out programmes, show concert-goers to their seats, sell CDs, indicate the location of the washrooms.... whatever is necessary.
And after I do all that, I stay and watch the show.

This weekend's concert featured a pair of brilliant classical guitarists, Drew Henderson and Michael Kolk. They met studying music at UofT (University of Toronto) and have been established as one of Canada's premier classical guitar duos since 2004.

Drew Henderson was playing a brand new 8 string guitar. I know very little about guitars, but I'd never seen an 8 string version before. I was impressed.

Here's one of the pieces from the concert. The first movement of Le Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice. It starts off sounding almost harp-like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love classical guitar. thanks for sharing this number.
    Volunteering at these events has its perks. Getting to see the shows is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of an 8 string guitar. I know in Portugal their music features a 12 string guitar.
    Nice you get to see the shows.
    Have a great weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen or heard of an 8-string guitar, either. They are marvelous players, although today, for some reason, every song i've heard after hearing that PS group singing "over the rainbow" at the Oscar ceremony sounds like that..."over the rainbow" thanks for the cultural uplift!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive - although I have no idea how many strings a violin should have? But, then I'm a philistine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Volunteering is a great reason to get out and do something fun. I enjoy classical guitar music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant!! That is a talent that deserves to be showcased.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..