Sunday 27 March 2011

Mystery Chicken

Early one morning, I looked out of my window and saw this mysterious creature waddling across my back yard. I live close to a Sales Barn where farmers sell their livestock on weekends, so perhaps it was an escapee from the chopping block......

..... but what is it? Is it a chicken? Or a duck? perhaps a goose? Here's a closer look.

I've been told it could be a White Guinea Fowl. But it doesn't have a guinea fowl type of beak, more like a Donald Duck beak! Any other suggestions, bird lovers?

Later... Monday 28 March
I think my "mystery chicken" could be a white lady Muscovy Duck. I found this picture of a male Muscovy on the internet. Very similar.

The Muscovy Duck has a body like a duck, behaves like a goose, roosts like a chicken, and has a breast like a turkey, so no wonder it was hard to identify.

I haven't seen it since that first sighting, so I hope it didn't end up as someone's Sunday dinner.

11 comments:

  1. No idea at all. The closest I could find when Googling was a Muscovy duck but this guy doesn't look gnarly enough. I hope it survives on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I haven't a clue as to what this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't a clue. I finally got into your blog. I don't know if you got my email or not, but I had been trying to access your blog for months! Internet explorer wouldn't allow me to open it. Now I'm in Firefox and it works!
    Thanks for all your comments on my blog.
    Hope you find out about the "mystery chicken!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever it is, Sham, it sure is...different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a goose to me - but then, what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you found by yourself! Good! I wouldn't have been of any help! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may be right.
    It may be cross bred too.
    Hope it is safe somewhere whatever it is.
    hugs
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoever he is---He is rather Fetching! Cute as can be. I hope he continues to escapr the chopping block....

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to have such amazing visit at your yard! I agree with you, I hope it is alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks very much like a muscovy duck. But could be a bit of cross breeding going on here.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..