Thursday 1 February 2007

The Three Hares

The symbol of The Three Hares is a mysterious emblem that has been known for more than 1,500 years, and has been found in many parts of the world in Christian, Buddhist and Islamic cultures. Its origin or meaning has been lost through the centuries.
Three hares are chasing one another in an everlasting circle. They share between them three ears which form a triangle in the center of the design, yet each animal has two ears. You can read more here and here and listen to a BBC radio programme about it here.

I've wanted to make a stained glass panel using this ancient symbol ever since I first came across it.
Here are my tools and materials:

And here's the finished product. I didn't have enough of the blue glass so I used green instead.

7 comments:

  1. You are so clever. Stain glass window making, I'm not sure I would have room to do this!!!!
    I've just realised that I don't have a link to you on my blog, can I add you to my link list please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stained glass. That's something I've always wanted to do. Who knows maybe someday. Nice shot and I think the green is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so clever and so beautiful. clever you! Loved the info on the symbolism it is very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! You have talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever sausage you!

    My Mum painted a Christmas card with these hares on but what you have done looks a lot more tricky.

    Well done that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of the 3 hares before. Interesting stuff. Stain glass making is quite a skill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really pretty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..