Wednesday 19 August 2009

I'se the B'y that builds the boat...

The island of Newfoundland has depended on it's coastline for it's existence for generations. Sadly, the cod fishery is almost non existent now, and fishermen concentrate on crab and lobster.
Boats are everywhere, from little put-puts, to seagoing naval vessels.

And of course, seagoing men love to sing traditional seagoing songs... listen here and sing along with Ryan's Fancy (also recorded by Great Big Sea). Can't understand the words? Here they are....

I'se the B'y that builds the boat and
I'se the B'y that sails her
I'se the B'y that catches the fish and
Takes 'em home to Liza

Hip-yer-partner Sally Thibault
Hip-yer-partner Sally Brown
Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton's Harbour,
All around the circle

Salts and rinds to cover your flake
Cake and tea for supper
Cod fish in the spring of the year
Fried in maggoty butter

I don't want your maggoty fish
That's no good for winter
I can buy as good as that
Down in Bonavista!

I took Liza to a dance
As fast as she can travel,
And every step that Liza took,
Was up to her knees in gravel.

Sarah White she's outta sight,
Her petticoat needs a border,
Old Sam Oliver in the dark,
He kissed her in the corner!

I'se the B'y that builds the boat and
I'se the B'y that sails her
I'se the B'y that catches the fish and
Takes 'em home to Liza

More pics of Newfoundland in the previous two posts.

18 comments:

  1. That first boat looks like a toy you'd take into the bathtub when you were a kid! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Shammie! How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, Sham. A true delight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful photos! Love boats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ditty with gorgeous photographs

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just think NF/Lab are beyond beautiful....and interesting. I swear i am going to get there and let you know when I go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the colours on the first little boat. Reminds me of the paint on their clapboard homes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was nice and lively. Great pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful prose and pictures to go with them. Love the different types of boats and all the vivid colors. Terrific vacation Shammie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful picts, Shammie. NF is so charming and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely pictures - are you on holiday? it looks wonderful and I love the coloured houses in the post before last.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing is your brilliant photos, anothother thing is the sad fact of "Black Ocean".

    It's a pity that the Fishermen, also in Norway, do not realise, when they have gone over the limit for sustainable harvest.

    btw. I'm really sad about not commeting your wonderful and interesting blogs for such a long time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photographs of NF. They reminded me a trip I took there a few years back.

    Thanks for coming by my blogs. I too have two sons and and an 18-month-old grandson. (He's in the photos with my dog.) Also expecting another grandchild - a girl - in two months.

    My youngest son who you asked about is doing okay. In fact, he will be here for a visit in a few days. That status can change quickly though.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Going to Newfoundland is on our list of places to see, we've been to the east coast many times and really enjoy it.

    That storm was wild, didn't see to much damage in our area. I had just got in from getting my wife at the train when it started so we took our supper down to the basement just to be safe.
    If you look closely at the 'Reflection' photo you'll see my wife and I holding umbrellas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Considering the place is built on a rock, it sure is colourful, eh? I have to get back east sometime.. sigh. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for the lack of visits over the summer, I knew this would be the last whole summer I would spend with my daughter, before she joined the 'Rat Race'. Which she has now done, hopefully some normality should return by September!
    Love your new kitchen, and the colourful houses on the 'rock'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed reading about your trip. I'm commenting on this particular post because we sang this song in school in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. heehee! I'm so glad you wrote down the lyrics because when I clicked on the link to hear the song, i certainly had trouble understanding it. Cute song and great photos of cool boats to match.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..