Saturday 1 May 2010

Solid Gold

I've been a very remiss blogger for the past couple of weeks, but I have a really good excuse.
Our annual Variety show has kept me busy with rehearsals and as I was crazy enough to take on the role of Producer this year, I've had numerous extra duties.
In 2010 the local variety show known as Music Mania has been entertaining the people of this town for 50 years! That's right, we are celebrating our Golden Anniversary with our SOLID GOLD show. Pretty good record for a small town variety show.

We've had letters of congratulations from the Mayor, and our local Provincial and Federal Members of Parliament. And the Mayor has proclaimed this week to be "Music Mania Week".

Of course, with a Golden Anniversary show, lots of gold sparkle is compulsory!

I'm in one dance number.... Step in Time... from Mary Poppins. What a grand bunch of chimney sweeps. And so clean! Aren't chimney sweeps supposed to be all black and sooty?

These lovely "ladies" had the audience howling with their Fan Dance. Beauty Queens, each one.

The cannibal skit..... of course, there just has to be a cannibal skit...

.... and no Canadian variety show could be complete without a brave Mountie and a beautiful Indian Princess.

We performed a free show for seniors and hospital patients on Tuesday night, and shows on Thursday and Friday nights to large enthusiastic and noisy audiences. Two more shows today (Saturday, matinee and evening) and then it's all over for another year.

It's a great week, I love it, but I'm always relieved when it's all over and normal life can resume. And in a couple of weeks it will be time to start planning for the 51st show.

18 comments:

  1. Oh I know how ALL Consuming Prodcing and performing can be...! But it looks like a fun show and getting there is half the fun...(lol)
    Hope the rest of your shows go smashingly, my dear...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the show. Sure hope you have a good turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you all have such a grand time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like an awesome show. I wish I was there to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthropophagia's always good for a laugh...

    ;->...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dennis thinks the Indian Princess is really Santa is disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad I can't find it on YouTube! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so fortunate to have taken part in this show. I'll bet it was a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on what is clearly another job well done. The photos sure depict a fun time. I love your Fan Dance "ladies." :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look like you had an awsome time! I'll hopefully be posting soon again, but I've been really busy planning my return ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on 50 years..!
    It is great that there are people like you who keep the tradition alive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That show looks like a hoot! I think I'd love to have seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are some brave and great souls in that group....and it looks like it was fabulously fun and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I would have loved to see your show. Bravo for you Madam Producer.
    That is a lot of hard work but the end result makes it all worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You deserve every minute of all the praise and adulation you received, Sham. I would have loved seeing your performance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I give you and your friends a standing ovation! Looks like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your show must have been so much fun to watch. I like the princess and would love to hear « her » voice.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..