During the cold Canadian winter it's common to read about carbon monoxide leaks. This family escaped with their lives, many others are not so lucky.
My basement contains three natural gas fired pieces of equipment: the furnace, the water heater and a fireplace, and there's another gas fireplace on the main floor, so I bought two of these CO detectors, one for the basement and one for upstairs.
They plug into the wall, and contain a rechargeable backup battery in case of power failure. CO is colourless, tasteless, odorless and a silent killer, so I wanted to be sure.
Plus I installed new batteries in each of my smoke detectors on January 2, one on each floor. I do this every January.
I urge everyone to do the same. Don't wake up dead one morning!