Wednesday 3 October 2007

Markham Fair - Part 4

Is everyone tired of visiting Markham Fair yet? Don't worry, this is the last chapter!

The Tractor Pull. Souped up tractors with alcohol injected engines. Each one pulls a heavy sled that offers progressively greater resistance as it is pulled. There's lots of noise and smoke and dirt flying everywhere. Cheering crowds and the smell of exhaust in the air, and a crazy commentator who doesn't actually know anything about tractor pulls.

The transfer sled is loaded with 45 gallon drums filled with concrete, which is moved to the front of the sled by an operator at the back.

In the last competition the tractors were pulling 22,000lbs of concrete plus 7,000lbs weight of the sled itself.
And then there's the midway, games of chance, win a giant stuffed furry animal, lose your money, eat candyfloss and peanuts, try out all the rides.....


.... and then it's over until next year. Ooooh my poor feet! See you all in September 2008!
Scroll down to see Markham Fair - Part 3, the quilts, Part 2, the veggies, and Part 1, the farm animals.

17 comments:

  1. I think I'd take a ride on the ferris wheel over watching the tractor pull . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the feeling of the Fair in all your shots. I especially like the one of all the midway toys. Great composition.
    Great series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must have been a cracking day out, I love how you have done these posts, there's been something for everyone.. just like a good fair sould be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tractor pulls,we have a Steam Rally in the back fields each year and they have tractor pullers there. I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great time at the 2007 fair! Is it a sin to covet that prizewinning quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Steve would so love the tractor pull....he has a blue one too. I call it the slut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A display of power capped off with some food and fairway fun. Now that's entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoying this series...
    Love the fourth one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. REPLY ALL:
    I'm so glad we all went to Markham Fair together! It was great having you all along! Perhaps next year I'll enter some of the competitions... my homemade jam, or my quilt (if it ever gets finished).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looked like a fun place to spend the day. I can make myself sick eating cotton candy. As a kid, I would eat so much that I get a tummy ache for the next 24 hours after that.

    But it was soooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never been to a tractor pull. I bet it is loud!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite activity at fairs.

    I changed the template on the blog so the pictures should show up OK now.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. candifloss peanuts?????????

    :oS

    ReplyDelete
  14. And if YOU'RE tired, Ex-S, you'll get more tired at my site as I am just getting started on our fair! HA!

    But no, I'm never bored with the fair, especially since it comes around only once a year. Gotta live it to the full!

    Our fair has a line-up of all kinds of tractors but nothing like these pulls. Now that would be a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love tractor pulls but they do not have them here at our fair very often:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh i have never seen a tractor pull before that looks like fun

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..