Tuesday 9 June 2009

Doors Open Ontario 2009 - Part 2

Continuing from Part 1, a few steps across Main Street from WhiStle Radio is the newly refurbished Arts and Culture Centre.

19 On The Park
The building that is now the brand new Arts, Culture and Entertainment Centre was built in 1896, and has previously housed a market, a movie theatre, an auto garage and a billiard hall, and most recently the town Municipal Offices. From April 2008, the site was under construction, opening with two weeks of Gala entertainment in May 2009.
Looking across the Town Square towards the Clock Tower and Main Street, a musician was entertaining the audience in the Town Square below.


Bruce's Mill

Located on the Oak Ridges Moraine, this flour mill opened in 1858 and operated until the 1960s. Listed as a heritage structure and awaiting a major restoration, Bruce’s Mill continues to house milling equipment from the early 1900s.
Unfortunately, the mill was closed to the public due to a family of raccoons nesting inside! But there was a fascinating display of found artifacts from a nearby archaeological dig of a pioneer pottery site.



Cedar Beach Pavilion
On the beach at Musselmans Lake, just north of Toronto, this 1929 dance hall was a popular destination during the big band era of the 1930s and 1940s, and for country and western music in the 1950s and 1960s. It’s one of the last of the holiday resorts established in the region during the early 20th century still operating. I've been to dances here and it has a wonderful hardwood sprung floor.

Too many interesting Doors Open sites to visit them all in one day... perhaps I'll see the rest next year.

See post below for other Doors Open Ontario sites.

8 comments:

  1. I truly feel there is nothing nicer than small town Ontario.
    A 30 minute drive in any direction from us (except South.. LOL) will take us through many small communities founded a century and a half ago by hardy European stock.
    I wasn't aware of Open Doors Ontario, but will be looking for it next year. My hubby used to swim in Musselmans Lake in the
    50's, it was considered almost cottage country then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tour you took me on. I like the simpleness of the Amish benches. I admire their handiwork.

    I keep forgetting to tell you I've ready Like Water for Chocolate, excellent, I agree. I'll have to check out those other 2 book you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recent posts have been so interesting. Thanks for giving us a tour of your part of the world. Great shots.
    I like the pic. of you as the radio star..congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been inside the pavillion at Cedar Beach. Now I feel like I've been inside. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry the raccoons didn't get word of the Open Door festivities. your town is truly charming. and what is a sprung hardwood floor? i thought that's what we have in this building here with all the creaks and groans when you walk across the floors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I must just pop over one Day.
    And going back with you after your visit to the Oslo Opera House.
    Be sure, Orchids for your hair will be prepared.

    I love big band orchestra - happended to visit two outdoor big band conserts when I did visit family and Suzann last year.
    It simply swings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots I love the old buildings.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..