Tuesday 7 January 2014

Reading List 2013

Here is my list of books read in 2013.... Canadian authors in blue.

January
Love and Summer - William Trevor
Tulip Fever - Deborah Moggach
Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Hoeg
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortensen
February
The Temptation of Eileen Hughes - Brian Moore
Kennedy's Brain - Henning Mankell
Family Matters - Rohinton Mistry
March
The Tribes of Britain - David Miles
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson
We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
Sweetness in the Belly - Camilla Gibb
The Hundred Secret Senses - Amy Tan
Blue Eyed Boy - Joanne Harris
April
Some Great Thing - Lawrence Hill
May
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
June
Death in Summer - William Trevor
The Petty Details of So and So's Life - Camilla Gibb
Felicia's Journey - William Trevor
Mr. Shakespeare's Bastard - Richard B. Wright
The Teacher's Daughter - Richard B. Wright
The Double Bind - Chris Bohjalian
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
July
Children of the Jacaranda Tree- Sahar Delijani
Before You Know Kindness - Chris Bohjalian
Life After Life - Kate Atkinson
Adultery - Richard B. Wright
August
February - Lisa Moore
The Crooked Seed - Anchee Min
Mudbound - Hillary Jordan
The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells - Andrew Sean Greer
September
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena - Anthony Marra
October
Aunty Lee's Delights - Ovidia Yu
Cold Heaven - Brian Moore
November
Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
December
The King's Speech - Mark Logue and Peter Conradi

Can you recommend any books I should read in 2014? I have already started Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson (reading for the second time), and Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach, and The Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian are sitting on my bedside table.

6 comments:

  1. Great selection! I will put some to my to do list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There might be a really good zombie novel at the end of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My reading list was so, so, so short this last year.
    Don't know why...I must get back into the reading habit.
    Seems I always had my nose in a book..what happened?
    Age I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. Of those, I've read:

    Love and Summer - William Trevor

    Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Hoeg

    Kennedy's Brain - Henning Mankell

    Family Matters - Rohinton Mistry

    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -
    Steig Larsson

    Death in Summer - William Trevor

    I've read quite a few books by Kate Atkinson, Joanne Harris and Brian Moore but not these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently begun keeping a list for just this sort of request. I'll asterisk the ones I've consider must-reads but they're all quite good.

    * The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon

    * Leaning, Leaning Over Water by Frances Itani

    * The Illicit Happiness of Other People by Manu Joseph

    Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts

    I Could Pee on This and Other Poems by Cats by Francesco Marciuliano (a hilarious and very quick read for cat lovers)

    * The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts

    * The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

    * The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

    * The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

    The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler

    * The Enchanting Life of Adam Hope by Rhonda Riley

    * Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..