Monday 3 August 2015

Venice 1

I'm back from a couple of weeks on a European Concert Tour with the "Men of Note", our town's male voice choir. The first stop was Venice, only for two days, but we saw so much of the beautiful city. What a wonderful place! There's nothing like it anywhere. Everyone should see Venice at some time in their lives.... it should be mandatory.
Our first day was HOT, 29C, which was brutal especially after a long and tiring overnight flight from Canada. Our second day was rainy, stormy, and a lot cooler, thank goodness.

There are 433 bridges over the Venice canals, connecting around 126 islands, all with steps up and steps down.... we didn't cross all of them but by the end of the day my aching legs felt like we did!

View from the vaporetto taking us from the Tronchetto coach park into Venice. We shared the vaporetto with a student group from Poland, and exchanged songs, our men's chorus singing in English, and then the students answering with songs in Polish. Lots of cheering and applause.  Music is an international language. 
A magical memory.
Our knowledgeable guide on the walking tour. A walking encyclopedia as far as Venezia history is concerned.

Crowded outside the Doge's Palace? No not really.... just wait until July and August.

The Bridge of Sighs connects the Doge's Palace with the Prisons. 
Tradition says convicts had a final look at the beautiful city before being led to their cells, or to a date with the executioner. Sigh.....

More pictures to come. 
If you have visited Venice, please leave me a comment and tell me about it.

9 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so excited to see pics of your trip! I've never been to Venice but glad that you're gonna take me on a tour. One day, i hope...crossing my fingers!

    I've been meaning to blog. It's been a weird year. We're moving again, still staying in the city, but it's not a task I relish. We were suppose to go on a 2 week road trip in April/May, but had to cancel the day we were suppose to leave because jimmy got pneumonia and ended up having to miss a month of work. Plus misc random everyday and not so everyday events have kept my mind on other things. But yes, Instagram, (more than facebook) has been a quicker way for me to slap a photo out there w/o much blatherings to accompany it. But I'm hoping to do a post soon, Camp Retz was last week and I love my nephews! :) Plus the whole movie drama is fun to put out there.

    Mostly though, thanks for checking in!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back.
    Your tour sounds magical.
    I would love to visit that glorious city.
    Music is a real connector, how fun to be part of the choir tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Just wonderful photos of a wonderful city!
    Sounds you had a great time in Venice!
    I would love to visit this so beautiful city.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Venice looks a wonderful city.
    Not been to that part of the country though I'd like to. You must be having a fantastic time.
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you didn't do a flash mob in the middle of St Mark's Square? One of our favourite travel places. "Crowded". Try middle of December, sunny and below zero and virtually no rubbernecks. Okay, so maybe 2. We dispensed with the map and deliberately got lost. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.....this looks FABULOUS! I have never been to Venice and never will be able to---so it is wonderful to hear about your special trip and see all your fantastic pictures! Looking forward to the next post and more pictures.....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will NEVER NEVER EVER forget my one day in Venice back in 2008 while on a Mediterranean cruise. It only whetted my appetite. One day I definitely want to go back and stay for at least a week...and maybe even cross all those 433 bridges?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a fantastic adventure you have had. Did you get the time for a gondola trip?

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..