Saturday 11 March 2017

Anenome

Time for some of the more static creatures of the oceans.
Sea anenomes are close relatives of jellyfish and coral, and may look like plants, but are actually aquatic animals. More than 1000 different varieties found throughout the world oceans. When I was growing up near the beach in England, the rock pools were full of red and green anenomes, looking like round lumps of jelly stuck to the rocks when the tide was out, but waving their tentacles menacingly when under water.

They may look like pretty flowers, but beware.... they are predatory! They are able to release venom through their many tentacles surrounding a central mouth, and stun their prey, making it easy to enjoy dinner. Sea anenomes can live up to 50 years, and most varieties are anchored to one place and unable to chase their prey. They'll ensnare and eat fish, zooplankton, larvae, worms, in fact whatever comes along.




Afterthought.... and nothing to do with sea anenomes.... Happy Birthday to my Dad, he was born 135 years ago today!

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous creatures! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. I had no idea they were considered creatures or that they live for fifty years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Shammic!
    Amazing! They are creatures underwater?! I see they are alive and very active!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As beautiful as they are, they've always freaked me out a bit. They can sting humans too can't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I learned a lot from you today and I love the photos - they're just superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating and gorgeous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are incredibly beautiful - as so much marine life is.
    Love that you remember your father's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Underwater world is as colorful as on the ground. Sea anemones look devilishly beautiful.

    My birthday is three days later than your father’s. Thank you for your thoughts for the Tohoku and its people. Most of foreign people don’t remember the date though that earthquake must have given big impact to the world.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  9. They really are amazing creatures Shammi, as much as I could never be a diver I am fascinated by what's under the ocean's water.. a lot scared too 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your dad.
    Hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They ARE beautiful. I've always liked the way they look. Sort of creep me out, though, like jellyfish. I hated seeing those in water I was planning to swim in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stings are not lethal to humans. I have touched a snakelocks anemone with my finger and it didn't hurt. Mostly I avoid touching them, because it will damage them and is not good diving practice. They are BEAUTIFUL - I think our northern anemones are prettier than the tropical ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have salt water aquariums and watched the anemones a lot. They are amazing! Great post..

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, Happy Birthday to your Dad that was born 135 years ago today!

    Fantastic pictures! Well done! Sea anemones are really gorgeous, stunning!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..