Tuesday 4 July 2017

Rhubarb and Beans

Living in a condo situation doesn't leave me much land for planting, but I make the best of it, although I'd love to have a big veggie garden. I planted two tiny baby rhubarbs at the end of May, and the constant rainy weather through May and June has really given them a good start. I tried to grow rhubarb last year but I planted it in a place that wasn't sunny enough and it failed. So perhaps I'll be making rhubarb pie next year, I hope so.

And another of my favourites is scarlet runner beans, often grown as a decorative red flower, but the young beans are delicious. Just top'n'tail them, cut off the strings, slice, and steam. The plants are climbing up the poles nicely, but the leaves look a bit dogeared, something is chewing on them. That's OK, as long as they leave the beans for me. I see the first red flower is starting.

10 comments:

  1. Your veggies look good Shammi and I like that you're happy to share with the bugs. not too much though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it all grows nicely. Greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the rhubarb and beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home grown vegies are the best. I have a serious weakness for rhubarb too (though in our family it is known as thumb after a brother's mishap in preparing it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having some Fourth of July beans tonight, as a matter of fact, although I'm sure it's been a while since they were on the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your veggies look great. We have a small plot at our community garden and it's going crazy right now. Just picked some chard, lettuce and a few tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like a bowl of rhubarb and custard as long as the rhubarb is sweetened. Actually rhubarb pie sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother used to make fabulous rhubarb pies! Oh so delicious and I never quite got it right. :-(.
    Yours looks like it will be delicious and the beans yummy.
    Don't you love this time of year?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing like home grown veggies .
    My folks used to grow rhubarb. It makes me pucker just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never grown rhubarb. I have grown runner beans but it was long ago.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..