Monday 29 April 2019

Muskrat Meanderings

There's a large pond at the end of my street and I quite often go for a walk round the neighbourhood and end up on the path around the pond. A home for frogs and small fish, and a blue heron.
Last summer I noticed a small aquatic animal swimming around but it was hard to get a good look. Too small to be a beaver, and there weren't any chewed up trees. I decided it must be a muskrat.
Now that the ice and snow have disappeared, I wondered if Mr Muskrat had survived the winter, and yes, there he is, happily swimming around.


So far Mr Muskrat seems to have the whole pond to himself, but I wonder if there will be a Mrs Muskrat and some babies later in the spring. I'll keep watching. And maybe get some better photos.

7 comments:

  1. To survive this past winter is no mean feat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven’t seen the local muskrats yet. A beaver has reduced the amount of water in their stream and we wonder if the muskrats will move out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The muskrat survived a cold winter now he wants the reward of a nice spring and summer. I bet there will be others that show up as the weather gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT a treat. I am glad he survived the winter, and hope others join him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen one in the wild like this. A treat to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a lovely find. Hope the muskrat will enjoy the comfortable seasons with his families after surviving frigid cold. The boy Y turned 6 on the first day of the Era of Reiwa.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..