Saturday 4 July 2020

Mason Bee? Mason Wasp?

Last summer I noticed a small hole (about 1/8" or 4mm diameter) in a brick, and an insect going in and out. Then a couple of days later the hole was sealed with mud. I was curious and I poked the mud out with a paper clip, so I don't really know what was inside.

This year, the same thing happened. The tiny hole in the brick is still there. I was sitting on the deck with my morning coffee, and out of the corner of my eye noticed a small insect going inside. Then a few minutes later, emerging, but too fast for me to notice what kind of insect.
The next day, the hole was sealed with a chewed up leaf.
An internet search suggested it's a mason bee or a mason wasp. The female lays her egg in the cavity and provides the baby with a yummy caterpillar or spider for breakfast after hatching.
I'll keep an eye on this brick to see what happens.

14 comments:

  1. I thought bees only existed in bee hives? I'm interested to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots more choices for a home for bees, not just beehives.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my carpenter bees, except they specialize in wood. They might be in the same union though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carpenters and masons joining the same union? Well they are all in the building trade, so perhaps.

      Delete
  3. Classic bee activity! It could be a leaf cutter bee - but I don't know if you have them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion. I will watch the plugged up hole to see if anything comes out. But may not be until next June according to internet research.

      Delete
  4. Such an enterprising lodger! Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had actually seen the insect, it was too fast for me and I only saw it zoom by.

      Delete
  5. That’s cool . . . I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that supplies are laid on - but wouldn't fancy either for MY breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might fancy both delicacies if you were a newborn baby bee!

      Delete
  7. I am pretty sure it is a Mason bee or some other kind of stingless bee. Many people now provide bee "hotels" for these essential creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks fascinating so am interested in what you discovered evolved.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..