Tuesday 9 March 2021

March 9 ART

More crazy experimentation. 

Both of these small 9"x12" canvas boards were the super cheap ones from Dollarama, made in China of course, and had already been painted on. But I don't want to experiment on good canvases until I know what I'm planning to do, so the paintings were covered up with a couple of coats of gesso, ready to start again. Not an ideal situation but it worked.

This first canvas board  had a couple of thin coats of burnt orange acrylic added, then sealed with matte medium, and then I sploshed it with a dark blue mixed with some retarder and scraped swirls and bends and organic shapes in the runny paint. Once it was dry, the background was filled with the lighter blue. My first attempt at this. Not overly impressive, but next time I'll have a better idea of what to do. Choose different colours for a start. And smoother swirls.


The second board had the same burnt orange and matte medium layers, and was covered with blue acrylic with a bit of retarder to keep the paint from drying too quickly. Some sprinkles of isopropyl rubbing alcohol reacts with the paint, creating lovely orange circles in the blue, and then I covered it all with crumpled plastic sandwich wrap to get some nice texture.
Drying overnight. Removing the plastic wrap reveals all sorts of interesting shapes. Then some circles painted in with leftover blue from the first project. Colours could be brighter in this photo, I think it needs some gloss to make the colours stand out more.

Fun to do. I might continue with this theme.


15 comments:

  1. I think you're on a roll here. Yes, do more. It's going to be a great series. I do love telling other people to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great way to recycle used canvas boards.

      Delete
  2. You might not be overly impressed but I am. And I love that you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, especially the second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great experiment, I like it. The first one reminds me of a fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could see a fish there too. It depends which way up you look at it.

      Delete
  5. I love the second one, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree, the second one is interesting.

      Delete
  6. Finding something you enjoy is crucial these days! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to some spring weather and enjoying some country walks. Can't wait!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, it's fun to experiment with paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them both Shammi, the first piece made me think of an exotic fish, Japanese style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see a fish in that one too, completely unplanned.

      Delete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..