Saturday 3 July 2021

Lucy

I just returned from spending a few days chicken sitting. And egg collecting. And garden, dog, cat and goose sitting while YoungerSon and family visited my daughter-in-law's aunt. I took lots of photos with my trusty little point-and-shoot camera, and then stupidly left the camera behind when I came home. Oh well.... I'll get it next time I visit again in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, here's the only photo I can show you of Lucy the goose. She's an Embden goose, 3 months old and is getting bigger every day. She is very used to people being around and likes to have her head scratched and her wings petted. She loves her blue bucket of water, and sometimes tries to get into it, not an easy task seeing she is quite a bit bigger than the bucket. 

Snoozing with your head on the edge of a bucket seems hard but she manages to look very relaxed.

She's got an old kiddie pool that she splashes about in.... sorry, no photos until I get the camera back!

A couple of photos from my container garden on my deck. These tomatoes are Oxheart variety, a heritage tomato. They are really lumpy, strange shapes, but I'm told they are very tasty.  I'll be able to taste them when they're ready to harvest in August.
And my Scarlet Runner beans.... doing really well, full of flowers that I hope will provide lots of beans.... and the bonus is that the hummingbirds love the red flowers.
Lots of vigorous growth this year, probably due to the well rotted cow poo that was dug into the soil in the spring. 

30 comments:

  1. Those beans make such a pretty plant and I'm glad the hummers like them too.
    Great crop of tomatoes too.
    Awww
    Lucy is beautiful, especially snoozing on the bucket. Looking forward to the photos when the camera returns.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back deck garden has done well so far. Yes, Lucy is a lovely creature!

      Delete
  2. Love the totally 'laxed Lucy shot.
    And your garden. We grew beef heart tomatoes when I was growing up. They look much the same - and tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Oxheart and beef heart tomatoes are the same variety, also called Coeur de Boeuf. I'm looking forward to the taste. The red tomatoes that we get in most of the supermarkets taste like cardboard.

      Delete
  3. Lucy learned how to chill out really fast. :) Those a nice big and juicy tomatoes you will have when they ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looking forward to some tomato sandwiches. Even the leaves smell like tomatoes!

      Delete
  4. What a great series of shots. The goose is very cool. I hope she's still friendly when she's grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are trying to keep her friendly by lots of contact and petting her and talking to her. But I know a 10kg goose can be quite aggressive.

      Delete
  5. Me enamore de Lucy es muy bella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy is a beauty and I can't wait until you are able to post more photos, I bet you were kicking yourself for forgetting to bring your camera home. Those tomatoes look good and tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot lots of things, not only the camera.... got distracted by something. Must be getting old! Yes, looking forward to eating those juicy tomatoes.

      Delete
  7. Lucy looks very chilled there.

    I wanted to grow some tomatoes in the garden but thought they'd get eaten by deer so gave up on the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do deer like tomatoes? You could put netting or chicken wire round the tomato plants. There's nothing as nice as a sun-warmed tomato right out of the garden.

      Delete
  8. The expression, 'Silly Goose,' comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been said more than once, believe me!

      Delete
  9. That manure did the trick by the look of your plants.

    Lucy goosey is a cutsie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like some nice cow poo to get things growing!

      Delete
  10. Geese make lovely pets - we used to have a family of Sebastopol geese (they have fluffy feathers). They did love getting into the water though, and apparently they won't breed if there is no pond around.
    Your garden is looking really great. Good ole cow poo does it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little stream and pond area she can get into but it's very overgrown with water reeds and giant grasses during the summer.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. She is a pretty goose, just losing the last of her grey juvenile feathers.

      Delete
  12. Love, love, love the photos. Lucy is sooooooo CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is, I hope she stays a friendly goose.

      Delete
  13. Your heirloom tomatoes are going to be so flavoursome, they're a good size. Lucy goosie, got to love that name Shammi 😉 so sweet resting her head on the pail. Your scarlet bean bush is beautifully supplying you and the birds with food 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm looking forward to a taste of those juicy tomatoes so much! And I haven't tasted home grown runner beans since 2020, another taste treat!

      Delete
  14. One of the best features of summer is fresh tomatoes. There is nothing quite like that taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I am looking forward to tomato sandwiches, a little bit of pepper and salt, and a smear of mayo..... heaven!

      Delete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..