Sunday 30 January 2022

What Rhymes with Orange?

Well, nothing rhymes with orange, or so they say, but you can make Marmalade with oranges, and that's exactly what I have been doing. An annual tradition for me. My cousin in Australia makes Marmalade every year too, we obviously have inherited the marmalade gene from our mums.

Six Seville Oranges, only available in the nearby grocery stores in January and February. The Sevilles are wrinkly and rather ugly and very bitter, and way more expensive than normal oranges, but they make terrific marmalade, so indispensable. 
Add two sweet navel oranges, and two juicy lemons. 

Squeeze all the juices out, remove the pips and the membranes, and chop the peel very thinly. For every cup of juice and peel, add 2 cups of filtered water, and soak overnight with the pips contained in a mash bag.

Boil until the peel is soft, add a cup of sugar for every cup of fruit mixture, boil some more and when it starts feeling thick and jellyish, pour into heated jars and seal.... voila! Marmalade!


Home made Marmalade on home made toast for breakfast, can't get any more delicious than that!!

20 comments:

  1. It is years since I have made it. And home made marmalade (or any conserve really) leaves the commercial varieties in the dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The commercial variety available in the grocery store is far too sweet, really tailored to N American taste.

      Delete
  2. Delicious indeed. I haven’t made marmalade in years. I made it out of lemons. We saw Seville oranges in Seville, Spain. They grew everywhere, lining the streets, in parks, gardens. It was a treat to see them in nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon marmalade, I'll have to try making that next time, I have made lime marmalade.

      Delete
  3. My partner loves fine cut marmalade, and has it every day, I haven't had any for years! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marmalade on toast, British Breakfast DeLuxe!

      Delete
  4. You must be British. 😎
    Sue likes marmalade, but I won’t touch it. Sue has British ancestry. So, do I, bit I have overcome the shackles. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, No pictures of Paddington? With marmalade the bear must have been around somewhere.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paddington is lurking in the basement waiting for me to leave the kitchen so he can dash in a slurp some.

      Delete
  6. I like marmalade but have never made it. Your recipe sounds and looks delicious. I don't recall ever seeing Seville oranges in stores here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Sevilles were grown in USA so probably available if you look hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife loves marmalade. I haven't had it since I was small.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...now my mouth is watering.
    I love, love, love marmalade. I can only imagine how lucious it tastes on homemade toast...sigh..
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marmalade I make isn't as sugary sweet as the commercial versions. It has an acidic tang that wakes you up at breakfast time!

      Delete
  10. Looks scrumptious! Well worth all the effort. Oh, it sounds like you bake your own bread. I do too. Tastes so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a bread machine to do the mixing but I usually bake it in the oven.

      Delete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..