Friday 19 September 2008

Chinese Lantern Festival - Part 1

This is the third year for the Chinese Lantern Festival. I've been wanting to go every year, and last week we finally made it!

The 32 elaborate, enormous lantern installations are constructed by 64 Master Craftsmen and women in Zigong, China, and are shipped to Canada, and assmbled at Ontario Place. This year's lanterns feature animals, dinosaurs, and marine life, as well as some of the world’s architectural wonders.

The Houses of Parliament, London, England, with the huge clock tower that is affectionately known as Big Ben. The white spots are raindrops on the camera lens... we went on the rainiest night of the year I think!

And of course, you can't visit London without riding on a red Double Decker bus!

The Taj Mahal in Agra, India, was commissioned by the fifth Mughal Emporer as a tribute to his second wife in 1631. It doesn't say what happened to his first wife.

The Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood is one of the main Orthodox Cathedrals of St Petersburg, Russia, named for Tsar Alexander II who was killed on this site in 1881.

Egypt... the Pyramids, the Temples, the Sphinx. Pharaoh Ramses would have been proud!

The Parthenon was built on the Athens Acropolis in the 5th century BC. You can see the scale of these lanterns by the silhouettes of the people at bottom right.

The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France to the USA in 1886. The 151' tall statue stands on Liberty Island, New York. Her crown represents the Seven Seas and the Seven Continents, her torch represents enlightenment, and her tablet signifies knowledge.

Incredible to think that some of these huge installations are 50' high and 300' long, and are constructed of steel wire frames with coloured silk fabric stretched over them, and lit from inside.
Next post.... some of the animal lanterns.

19 comments:

  1. Those truly are lovely. Amazing amount of work into each one, I'm sure. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant...literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, feel like I had a mini-vacation and didn't even have to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee I didn't thank lanterns would be soooo big! They are awesome! Thanks for the history lesson too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The statue of liberty is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, those are elaborate lanterns.

    When I was a kid, my mom always got me one of those accordion-type Chinese lanterns for the Mooncake/Lantern Festival. She would light a little birthday candle inside it and I would run around the yard like a boy who had too much sugar for dinner. Within minutes, the lantern would catch fire and burn, and I would cry myself to sleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous set of photos...wow..I can't imagine the work involved in this.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering how big these landerns were until I scrolled down. Truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Those are incredible! Thanks for taking us along with you (and we didn't have to get wet!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spectacular aren't they. Maybe next year we'll go see them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dennis really enjoyed these photos and the words too.
    they must have been something to see up close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of this before..These are just Spectacular! I wonder if someone has ever made a Documentary on the building of these--from beginning to end----I mean, these are fantastic Works of Art....! Between these and all the animal ones above---Well, this had to be an unforgetable "happening" to see!
    Thank you for sharing all of this with us, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This festival looks amazing. Hmmmmm. How come I didn't go?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are unbelievable. What a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so blasted amazing. I would love to see that in person. Maybe I'll meet you there for the 4th annual? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shammie, these are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..