Wednesday 22 October 2014

Brigus, Newfoundland 2

A few more memories of a visit to the small fishing community of Brigus.

St. George's Heritage Church was constructed in the Gothic Revival style in 1876. It was built of wood by the men of Brigus. Significant interior features include the open gable beam and timber ceilings, plastered walls and the fact that it is in nearly original condition with only a few additions. It's a landmark in Brigus, both from the land and sea, and became a Registered Heritage Building in 2004.


Visitors to the church can see the beautifully carved altar, pulpit, choir pews and frontals, communion rail and pews (all made of pine) and the christening font, all of which are original to the building. I have no idea why the gateposts and gates are painted bright red. But I like it!


Hawthorne Cottage was the home of Captain Bob Bartlett, who commanded more than twenty Arctic expeditions. Captain Bartlett accompanied American Commander Robert Edwin Peary to the North Pole in 1909, and again in 1914.  During the Canadian Arctic expedition of 1913-18 under Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson, Captain Bartlett walked 700 miles across Arctic ice and down the Siberian coast to save 14 people on the ill-fated Karluk from certain death.


The quiet streets of Brigus are lined with charming colourful houses and secret gardens. I love the oil tank in this picture!


More pictures of the picturesque communities of Newfoundland still to come.

6 comments:

  1. I love all these buildings, such a pretty place. Like you, I like the red gate and posts on that church...it shows off the church actually, great idea, someone was thinking outside the box, lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Lovely Pictures, my dear, of a Beautiful place....LOVE the Red Brick Gates! Everything is so picturesque.....Thanks for sharing all of this, my dear----I would never get to see this any other way....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. George's Heritage Church looks beautiful and I also like the red gates.
    So lovely the Hawthorne Cottage and the river is so beautiful too.
    I'm looking forward to see more pictures of Newfoundland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this little town! Thanks for sharing your pics. Like others, I may never have gotten to see it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a huge church for a little town. Everyone must be part of the congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I showed the church photo to my wife and she immediately said it looks like the TV series Haven!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..