Wednesday 16 October 2019

The Musical Ride

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Musical Ride were at our local Fall Fair at the beginning of October. They performed in a much smaller area than they are used to and had to cut some pretty sharp corners with their horses when executing some of the more complicated maneuvers.




I spoke to one of the riders while we both waited for lunch to be ready at the hamburger stand. She said she had been a rider for 3 years, and had almost finished her time with the Musical Ride and was going on to other duties in December.  I was surprised to learn that many of the riders had no knowledge of horses in their previous civilian lives, and when they apply to be part of the Ride they go through a year of training, and then are able to complete all the complicated patterns. I enjoyed watching the Ride so much, I watched it twice!

17 comments:

  1. Love that Canadian icon! The officers and horses become one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Musical Ride says Canada to me. I remember reading a book when I was a child.... Susannah of the Mounties.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Very Canadian! I love the red serge jackets.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great experience to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ride lasts about 30 minutes, and it's so precise and orderly.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's fascinating. I love to watch precision drills of any kind.
    Your comment made me smile on my blog.
    We were starved by the time we had walked over a mile to get to our viewing spot.
    Earlier we had stopped at our favorite Mom and Pop sandwich shop and got our "Freddies" The name of the place..its been there for 80 years.
    As soon as we got to our spot...out came the sandwiches and they were gone in no time flat!
    Was yesterday Canada Thanksgiving? Happy Thanksgiving to you..anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving at the weekend.

      Delete
  5. Only a year's training? Colour me awed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I'm too old (and decrepit) to apply, but I'd love to do this!

      Delete
  6. Strangely I have never seen the Ride done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ride is based in Ottawa and I think they have a breeding facility in Stittsville (where they breed the horse, not the riders!!!!).

      Delete
  7. Oh I would have loved this Shammi, so very smart they are.. Super shots for us here 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very impressive display of horsemanship, colour and tradition.

      Delete
  8. That does look like a small venue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They were performing on part of the racetrack at the fairgrounds. It's quite narrow so they had to squeeze together more than usual, and on one afternoon, there was a bit of a muddle and a couple of Mounties lost their way in the crowd!!! It's also the location of the tractor pull, and the monster trucks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great performance and a tradition! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..