Monday 23 March 2020

Boats

One of the subjects for our (probably not happening) art exhibition at the Town Offices was Boats, and here's my version.

This was a boat painting that I started and thought I had finished a couple of years ago, but I was never satisfied with it, so I decided to paint over my original brushwork using a palette knife. I like the texture a lot better, more interesting, and the colours are brighter. I find using the palette knife is difficult to control where the paint goes, but perhaps I just need more practice.

I've been isolated at home now for 10 days. I live alone, not even a dog or a cat to talk to, and the family are isolating themselves too, so I have been going out for walks around the neighbourhood and chatting to the neighbours.... from a safe distance of course. But I am appalled at how many people do not seem to be following the social distancing request. 
Our Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke to the nation this morning with very strong words. He said "Enough is enough. Go home and stay home. This is what we all need to be doing, and we're going to make sure this happens, whether by educating people more on the risks, or by enforcing the rules, if that's needed. Nothing that could help is off the table." 
Canada is not in total lock down yet, but the future looks grim.

15 comments:

  1. I really, really like your creation. The reflections in particular draw me in.
    We are not in lock down either, but edging closer by the day. Sadly social distancing is very selective here too. Some do, and too many don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social distancing is very hard to get used to, we are such social people. I have been trying to get out for walks but it's so tempting to stop and chat with everyone I meet..... from a distance of course.

      Delete
  2. Love the reflection in your piece!

    I like the way Trudeau keeps us informed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether you voted for him or not, I think Trudeau is doing a good job.

      Delete
  3. The painting is fabulous! I like the colours and the reflections.
    Well done, have a wonderful week and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my painting.

      Delete
  4. The health minister had a warning tone too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the government are doing an excellent job of keeping us informed. Too bad that some people are just not listening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painting, very impressionistic in how the pallet strokes give depth and division to colors, lines and lighting. Good choice. As an artist I'm also aware the 4 places in town where my works are on display (and for sale) are closed. Fortunately I'm retired and don't need the income as much as those who rely upon it for their bread and butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All this self-isolation gives us more time to create art!

      Delete
  7. Like this painting -- am partial to water scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for liking the painting. I hope you're staying safe and healthy in these troubled times.

      Delete
  8. Love your painting Shammi, palette knife painting is tricky. There's a. Aussie artist Anh Do who does amazing work with a palette knife, Google him, Anh Do artist, let me know what you think ✨

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..