Thursday 2 April 2020

Day 21

WARNING: My blog posts are going to get more and more boring as time passes. For me it's Day 21 of staying at home and social distancing. Life doesn't offer a lot of excitement right now.

We're not in total lock down so far, but all travellers returning to Canada are required by law to quarantine for 14 days. My age group.... the oldies, over 70s.... are suggested to stay home too, with only a once a week trip to get groceries. I have ordered groceries for pickup, but it's very hard to get a time slot, so many other people have the same idea. I have a pickup at Longo's on April 8 and from Walmart on April 9. That should tide me over for April, but I think I'll still be here self-isolating in May.
I go for my daily walk around the pond every morning. No wildlife to be seen today, but five Canada geese and a pair of Mallard ducks were visiting yesterday.
The last loaf of store bread has been eaten, so it was time to do some baking. I have enough bread flour for 2 or 3 more loaves, but I have been told that flour is hard to get in the grocery stores. I hope there is some in my grocery order. Everyone doing their own baking I suppose.
I try to do some sketching or painting or other forms of art every day. Today, Thursday, is my usual Art Group day, cancelled for the last couple of weeks, and not likely to start up again for a long time. I miss it a lot. There are 20 of us in the group, and we share motivation and creativity. It's very inspiring to share an activity with like-minded people. I'm finding it difficult to get on with it on my own.

17 comments:

  1. Nobody can get yeast here. Lots of people are trying their hand at sourdough starter. That bread looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there's both bread flour and yeast in my grocery pickup next week.

      Delete
  2. I've always made my own bread, so I hope I can continue to get flour and yeast. I often get them at the Asian store where's not much competition for western baking needs! Your bread looks excellent.

    Is your art group able to do a Yahoo group and attach pictures of ongoing work? Mine has shared our online art blogs and sites, and has started with Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been emailing each other with pictures of new work. Maybe Zoom would be better, I'll look into it.

      Delete
  3. Yeast and flour are in very short supply here.
    Love your art work - hands are always challenging, and am very glad you can get out for a walk.
    I am gardening more and thinking (a bit) about decluttering.
    People here are using Zoom for virtual get to gethers. Would that work for your art group?
    Stay well, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decluttering is a challenge. I did it 10 years ago and now it's time to do it again!

      Delete
  4. Our pond has been vacant now for three days. They must be nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't hands difficult to draw? Your sketches are amazing! Three weeks of working and studying from home here too.

    We finally found yeast and flour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means you have been baking bread.... I bet the kitchen smells really good.

      Delete
  6. It is hard to keep motivated I find!

    The birds along the boardwalk keep me entertained for a few minutes when we can get out. The wind and rain have been prohibitive the last few days.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunshine today, but a cold wind. Hurry up spring!

      Delete
  7. Your bread looks delicious. Flour has been in short supply here as well, but now they are selling 20kg bags which are much too big for most people. Your pond sounds like a lovely place to walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shammi your posts will never be boring, personally I love to see anything that you do as far as art goes, now you have the time to explore and create, your drawings of hands here are fabulous, so hard to do and you make it look easy! Btw, your bread looks delish too, I haven't ever baked a loaf of bread, this might be my finest hour :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hand sketches, they remind me to wash my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that wasn't the reason I sketched hands, but if it works.....

      Delete
  10. I haven't had issues buying bread.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..