Thursday 23 April 2020

St. George's Day



Today, April 23, is St George's Day.

Saint George is the brave soldier in the Roman army who slayed (slew?) the Dragon, and here he is in a Miniature from a Passio Sancti Georgii manuscript (Verona, second half of 13th century).

Did he really slay a Dragon? Maybe. It's a good story related to the conflict between light and darkness, good and evil.

The fearsome Dragon demanded human sacrifices and brave Saint George came along just in time to save the princess who had been chosen as the next offering. The King offered George treasures as a reward for saving his daughter, but George gave the wealth to the poor, who were so grateful that they all became Christians. But George was tortured and lost his head during the persecution of Christians in 303AD, thus becoming a Saint.

The warrior Saint George has been the subject of legend since the 7th Century, and became a Patron Saint of the Order of the Garter in 1348. He was promoted to the Patron Saint of England in the middle 1500s. The Cross of St. George (red cross on a white background) is the basis of the Union Jack flag. 

18 comments:

  1. I had no idea, thanks for the history lesson. I always wondered who St George was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of Red and white flags flying in England today.

      Delete
  2. This day is loaded. St George, Shakespeare's birth and death, my auntie Kitty's birthday. She could take the others, easy. If St George had been faced with Aunt Kitty, the story might have ended differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Kitty sounds fearsome and fierce. Saints and Dragons better watch out!

      Delete
  3. Today the dragon is microscopic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And invisible. We need a modern St George to provide a vaccine.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating info. I didn't know anything about this time of history.
    Hope your day is going well.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathies are often with the dragon.
    Loved this window into a history though - thank you. I had never known that poor George was tortured and beheaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly had a gruesome ending according to the story.

      Delete
  6. St George and the Dragon is a lovely story. He should have married the princess and lived happily ever after :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then he wouldn't have become a Saint.

      Delete
  7. I remember learning about the Union Jack back in Scouts, I think it was, although I had trouble with the constituent parts. I seem to be most familiar with the St George's part though. I've just looked up the rest again and should remember unti about 7:20. It is 7:04 right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know that something I wrote has prompted you to look up a bit more information! Let's hope it lasts a bit longer that you have predicted!

      Delete
  8. I have just deleted three comments from someone promoting bogus Covid-19 cures and another vitriolic comment from the boomer hater guy. So nice to know that they are reading my blog. However, if this unwanted attention continues, I'll have to turn on moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the history lesson. We sure could use his help these days.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that. Thank you.
    A bum stops at the George and the Dragon Inn, the Woman meets him at the door and chews him several new ones, slamming the door after. The bum knocks again, "Could I speak to George, this time?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with 'At Home in New Zealand' Shammi, I'm pretty sure sainthood is overrated 😉

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..