Thursday 21 May 2020

Random pictures and High Drama

Coronavirus life goes on.... I'm still staying at home, although I bravely ventured in my mask to the early morning seniors hours grocery store this morning to stock up with supplies. Stores and services are gradually starting to open up and restrictions are gradually easing, but I hope things don't move too fast.... we are not ready for "normal" yet.  We finally have some lovely weather which will encourage people out of their houses.

I've been baking.    Coronavirus bread?
Cleaning up the back yard...... Coronavirus dandelions?
I have been watching the buds get bigger and bigger on this gorgeous "Yellow Bird" magnolia bush.... no leaves yet but only the blossoms. The leaves come later.
High Drama around the pond today. Fat cat Minnie, who belongs to a neighbour, was intent on stalking something moving in the grass.  I stood and watched for a while while she slowly wiggled her way forward and then she suddenly pounced as fast as lightning, and then there was a little squealing chipmunk in her mouth.
I had no idea fat cat Minnie could move at the speed of sound but she did!
Minnie decided to take her prize home, but luckily my neighbour interceded before she could go inside, and the chippy's luck changed as Minnie dropped him.  Chippy dashed for safety up a nearby tree with Minnie in close pursuit, but chipmunks climb trees faster than fat cats, so Minnie lost her plaything and sat at the bottom of the tree looking up with a determined look in her eye.
Here's the poor little chap, sitting on a branch keeping an eye on Minnie.


Minnie kept watch at the base of the tree for a while but eventually went home for her dinner.  I hope the chippy got over his shock and went home to tell his family all about it.  Life can be dangerous out there!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I'm glad there was a happy ending to that drama Shammi 😊 Cats certainly have that inbuilt hunting gene. Your coronavirus bread and dandelions made me laugh out loud.. got to keep a sense of humour 😀 Do your family who live in WA enjoy living here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chippy had quite a tale to tell his grandchildren.

      Delete
  2. What a great story and it came with a happy ending, those are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life in the great outdoors is fraught with danger.

      Delete
  3. Echoing Grace on the happy ending.
    Love the dandelion octopus too.
    We are opening up as well. S.L.O.W.L.Y - which suits me just fine. I don't think this is a gun to jump. And hope we haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stores, golf courses, dog parks, all opening very gradually. But the good weather has arrived which brings more people out of doors.

      Delete
  4. I am glad the chipmunk got away! I have grown very fond of the little critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of them living around here, some live under my deck.

      Delete
  5. One happy Chippy! I can hear him squeaking out that story to his descendants while they hang on his every word LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little baby chippies will be thrilled to hear his tale of escape.

      Delete
  6. This is the second cat post of my morning. I do think that urban cats that are already fed or should be should be kept indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cats do have an innate sense of having to hunt and catch their prey.

      Delete
  7. Wow, what an adventure. Glad Chippie survived to see another day.
    Can't feel too sorry for Fat Cat though...(:0)
    Love your Covid bread and dandelions pictures. Clever shots.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread wasn't meant to look like that, pure accident!

      Delete
  8. I am smilling to see your bread! Looks like a real corona!!
    The state of emergency here is gradually working. Some shops and restaurants are opening.
    But we have to be careful.The second wave could happen.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been at home for over 2 months now and I would love to resume "normal" life but we all have to take care and open up slowly.

      Delete
  9. The amount of carnage unrestrained domestic cats wreak on small birds and other wildlife is catastrophic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love to see the birds and wildlife in my back yard. Sadly, cats can't help their instincts.

      Delete
  10. Great pictures. Glad the chipmunk got away.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..