Sunday 3 May 2020

Spring Sunshine at last!

Finally, the month of May has delivered some blue skies and sunshine. The temperature got up to 21C for the first time since October 2019, and I sat out on the deck wearing summer clothes! WOOHOO!
Last fall over 200 daffodil bulbs were planted on the slopes around the pond. I have been anxiously watching those tiny green shoots appear above the ground, and getting taller each day. Buds started to appear but the weather was cold and windy and we even saw some snowflakes in April so the buds stayed tightly closed. But in the sunshine today.... WOW! Gorgeous.


My two artist groups have been on hiatus since March due to the recommendations for social distancing, so I have been playing with art at home. I have't actually tackled any serious painting, as I don't seem to be able to raise up enough inspiration or motivation. And our annual Art Show and Sale has been cancelled due to Covid-19.
However I have been playing with colours. I've been watching videos on line and have been impressed with a British artist called Dan Tirels who paints with plastic shopping bags, so I thought I'd have a go too. Make plastic shopping bags useful. Here are my efforts.




One afternoon last week I was playing with my home made gelli plate.... made of gelatin and glycerin... printing on Chinese rice paper. The faces are image prints taken from an old Vogue magazine. The bird is stencil cut out of mylar.  The paints are cheap dollar store acrylic paints. 

More prints to come as the gelli plate process is a lot of fun and keeps me busy all afternoon. Many of these prints have found a home in a pretty little book made of hand made paper that I bought at a thrift shop a few years ago.
I knew that little book would come in handy! It's going to be my Covid-19 memory book.

19 comments:

  1. WOW.
    I am in the middle of planting a plethora of bulbs (not going to admit just how many) hoping for just such a display of sunshine on stalks.
    And I love and admire your creativity too.
    We are hovering a bit below 10C at the moment. When we reach double figures I will go back to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often check ACT weather as my cousin lives there, and I see it was 1C one morning recently. Chilly! Yes, daffodils are lovely, my favourite spring flower.

      Delete
  2. These paintings are really quite interesting. You are quite talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like just the thing for this time. Engrossing and full of possibilities. I haven't worked with rice paper for a long time, but I think I should again. Have you tried monotyping on tissue paper? It's a great effect, transparent and really worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should try that. I have lots of spare time right now!!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's been a long winter and a chilly windy April so a sunny day is very welcome.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating work! Love it. Such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting for pleasure, great use of your creativity. Nice work, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow you have been creative Shammi.. love the plastic bag art especially the last one. The glycerine posters are incroyable also. What a good idea a memory book of this incredibly insane moment in history ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to keep busy while I'm at staying at home "saving lives"!!!

      Delete
  8. Those plastic bag paintings are unusual. Do you dip the bags in paint then place them on paper? Your other prints are also quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, paint is spread on the plastic and then printed on the paper, using torn newspaper as stencil shapes. Messy but fun. And if the resulting piece of art is a horrible failure, it doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The daffodils are smiling. I think I know how you felt liberated with the warmth and sunshine. I have enjoyed about 25 degrees C in May after the very cold April. During self-isolation, many people come to be creative. This new method of art looks interestingly creative. Enjoy art and take care.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to know that finally you have spring sunshine!
    The sunlight is falling on your flowers.
    Your plastic bag paintings are very interesting and grat work.
    I admire your new challenge even in this uncertainty.😊
    Have a good day and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, these are stunning. I'd like to know more about the process.
    One of a kind treasures...thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..