Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Heron

Every evening he comes swooping in and lands gracefully on the grass at the edge of the pond. Sometimes he arrives for breakfast too.

The Great Blue Heron. There must be enough delicious little morsels of fishdom in the pond to keep him returning for his dinner every evening. He stands in the water, eyes concentrating on any movement under the surface, beak poised to attack, and suddenly he stabs the water, and he's caught a tiny wiggling fish. Gulp! That was yummy!

I wonder how many wiggling tiny fish it takes to fill a heron's tummy?


12 comments:

  1. Herons are such graceful birds. What a treat to have one to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should we bring him some fish? He doesn't look overly stuffed. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pondful isn't enough for a hungry heron, it seems. They are fascinating birds, but so wary that it's difficult to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful bird and photo. Nice framing, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific photo. Maybe 20 a day? (I have no idea.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so interesting to watch and so graceful in their movements.
    P.S. I loved you idea of black cats lining the driveway, especially if they had glowing eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They take anything they can catch, mostly small fish, but they are capable of swallowing huge fish. They are also opportunistic and will consume rodents, amphibians, ducklings….pretty much anything they can swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stately elegant bird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am absolutely wild about herons. I think they may be my spirit bird. How lovely to have one close at hand -- and on a regular schedule! I call my two herons Harry. Harry the Heron is at home and Harry North is at the cottage. But I don't see them nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..