Friday, 31 July 2026

Snow plow

This giant railway snow plow (or snow plough if you prefer) is parked on a rusty railway track in the back field at Markham Museum. It's huge! It's almost covered with overgrown branches and gradually rusting away.

According to Wikipedia this is a Wedge Plow. The wedge plow forces snow to the sides of the tracks and therefore requires a large amount of force due to the compression of snow.


Wedge Plow in better shape connected in front of the main engine, photo borrowed from internet

I tried to find out more information from the museum web site but nothing available.

10 comments:

  1. That plow is huge but it gets the job done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Existem todo tipo de máquinas neste mundo. rsrsrsrsrs

    Nova Tirinha Publicada. 😼

    Abraços 🐾 Garfield Tirinhas Oficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the photo of the plow in the snow cooled me off a little bit just now :-0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that thing is massive! Amazing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid, we lived right beside the CPR tracks, and I mean RIGHT BESIDE. There were always 2 or 3 of those big black-and-red wedge plows on a little side track in winter, waiting to be called into action at a moment's notice if needed! We used to climb up their slopes as far as we could and slide down. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory! I'm so glad my pictures reminded you of your younger days. I bet that was fun, sliding down the plow face.

      Delete
  6. I can think of a few politicians I would like to take that plough to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A problem-solving beast. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..