Sunday, 13 September 2026

Mast Year

It seems to be a mast year for the Northern White-cedars (thuja occidentalis) growing around the pond this year. The seed pods are so numerous that they are weighing down the branches.


Mast year:    A mast year is a year when many trees of the same species produce an exceptionally large seed crop, often 10 to 50 times their normal output, all at the same time across a region.

A mast year is defined by two key features:  1. Huge seed production far above normal levels.  2. Synchronized timing across large populations of trees.

Anyone else seeing large crops of seeds on cedars?

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a mast year, but it sure explains a lot about what I've perceived about the trees in my neighbourhood/community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that they have had a prolific year. It's been a while since I saw a crop as abundant as this year's. Great to see a species doing well. My Sugar Maple has already lost all its leaves, a result of early season drought I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like tvat here, but i don't think we have that kind of cedar tree. Pretty impressive! Sometimes we do notice when the oak and/or hickory mast is heavy. It can indicate a good, not-starving winter for wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firt time I see it !
    We don't have many cedars here...to hot !
    Have a shinny week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard that term before but now I'm going to keep my eye out for seed production.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting, never knew that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature's way of preventive action to ensure survival!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..