Friday 18 September 2020

Bear in Area

The newest trail through the Rouge Urban Park goes from 19th Road Day Use Area, 5.1 km to the south, ending at Elgin Mills Road. There are parking spaces, an information board, and toilet facilities at the start of the trail. Eventually there will be a system of connected walking/biking trails all the way south to Lake Ontario. 

And no... I didn't come face to face with the bear, thank goodness. He (or she?) was sighted back in May or June so I think he's long gone from the area.

In the distance the skyline of Toronto. You can just about see the CN Tower. 
The trail doesn't loop back to the start, the only way back is to retrace your steps. And it's slightly uphill on the northbound return journey.  
Last weekend it was sunny but cool and breezy, perfect for walking. I walked both ways... that's 10km!
The trail is wide enough to comply with the "physical distancing" Covid rules. And the surface is good for walking and for bikes or strollers, and accessible for wheelchairs too. Lots of families out enjoying the beautiful day.
The trail meanders through wooded areas and also fields of both corn and soybeans, and there are log benches and patio chairs along the route if you need a rest. The trees are starting to show some autumn colours now. 
I noticed these unusual seed pods along the route... I'm trying to identify what they are. Any ideas?

Seed Pod Update: I met a Parks Canada Ranger on the trail today and he told me this is Velvetleaf, or otherwise known as abutilon theophrastiButter-print, Elephant ear, Indian-mallow, Pir-marker, abutilon feuille de velours. It was introduced to North America from Asia in the 1700s as a potential fibre crop and now it's considered a nasty weed. It's an annual plant reproducing by seed and one plant can produce up to 44,000 seeds that are able to lay dormant and viable in the soil for up to 60 years! Crikey!

18 comments:

  1. That would be a wonderful place to hike, with a skyline view of the city.

    Unusual seed pods. I’ve never see them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seedpods are Velvetleaf, an undesirable weed, and I've never heard of it before.

      Delete
  2. Ten kilometres? Colour me impressed.
    Those seed pods look very similar to wild poppies, though a little different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I thought they looked similar to poppy seeds too but they are not related to poppies, they are of the mallow family.

      Delete
  3. It seems to be a good start to what will become a long trail system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some trails further south that have already been completed.

      Delete
  4. We have black bears around here in June, usually young males, turned out to find their own territory. They follow the waterways, which nowadays takes them across six lane Route One, mostly safely, amazingly. We'e learned when not to take lunch outside! Usually they're young, though they look so big, and not seeking to attack anything other than food, including bird feeders, so those come in, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy not to come face to face with any large wildlife on the trail. Nothing larger than a squirrel please!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, that's one prolific plant. No wonder it's considered a "weed".
    I do love the pattern of it though. It does look like a butter pat at a "fancy" restaurant.
    Thanks for the compliment on my blog to Shammie. I am eagerly awaiting some Official photos from the wedding. It does take time I guess..I just want them NOW.
    Lovely new trail for you to walk. I like that its wide and paved too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were about 4 or 5 separate plants growing by the trail.... I wonder if there will be more next year as they have so many seeds.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful place to walk and enjoy nature and the views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a pleasant place to go walking - when the bears are absent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unusual to see a bear near here, but we have foxes and coyotes!

      Delete
  8. Perfect! This is exactly the kind of walk I enjoy Shammi, 10km is a good walk, lots to see and not too many hills! My husband on the other hand loves to drag me through the bush up and down, well not actually drag me but you know what I mean 😉 So we take it in turns to chose which type of walk, the most exciting animals we see are kangaroos, not a bear to be found 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be doing this walk again in the coming week, as long as the weather cooperates.

      Delete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..